*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
4
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/402287-Parody-and-peonies
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#402287 added January 28, 2006 at 1:44pm
Restrictions: None
Parody and peonies
Winter: 8 Sultán (January 26)


TREASURE OF THE DAY

'And he was blinded by the headlights
Cut loose like a moose on the highway in the night
Blinded by the headlights
He was run down without a fight, and he won’t make it alright'

by blue_jeans from:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1062372 by Not Available.

Hysterical! Lots of fun. Good use of rhythm and internal rhyme. I would've never come up with:
ring rot big shot/ abandonned lot/ hook shoot/ lung rot/ plague spot/ stop!

I can't imagine the original as being quite this funny. I know the tune. And it seems to fit but someone who knows it better should comment on that aspect.

2006-01-26
after vespers, 56. Only 26 degrees in Pittsburgh.

Should I mention to Brendan how nice the weather has been since he left? Perhaps not. I suspect he'll ask though. In spite of the weather, everyone is warming up for the upcoming Super Bowl between his Steelers and the Seahawks.

What to say to youngsters at WDC? Read a blog today that had me reeling. Will their black and white thinking mature as they see the intricate patterns of grey in being Human? Or will they just decide that grey is worse and reject the humanity of others? I don't know. The leaders of the world seem to be black/white thinkers and that could easily lead to some rough times. The youth will bear the pain and death of those decisions. Pray that we all grow up and make 'love' our goal and not 'being right'.

2006-01-26
before vespers, 59 degrees. 57 in Tulsa, OK.

Fire and wind advisaries in T Town and NE Oklahoma, into NW Arkansas. Saw Allison today at Tea. She is one of my favorite Tulsans. Got a hilarious email from Gary Glenn in Tulsa. So I lament. I'd rather be in Tulsa.

At Tea saw Ryan Carroll, Richard League, Kylie, Douglas and others. I gave a copy of my "Tea at Three" poetry to Becky at the office where the event is planned. Their office has been renovated, complete with fish tank. Much more inviting.

Stopped in at the Gallery reception for Steve Keene (http://www.stevekeene.com) who was painting away on about 50 canvases. It's a kind of street art/folk art. Got a picture of the band playing guitar, washboard ... Very upbeat and off-beat event.

And if I am still here, I can watch Jarhead, Rent, Harry Potter, Walk the line, Narnia, Memoirs of a geisha, The Producers, King Kong and Glory Road on Thursday or Friday evenings this semester. Neat huh!

As for me a small sketch from January 15th:

Peonies

Deep roots form clumps.
They are older than us,
these peonies.
Brought by invaders of this prairie,
bought and planted where once blue stem ruled.
They gather
in circles,
sometimes in rows,
flower pink, red and white,
ants nipping at buds
to release their splendor.
But it is in the roots
that wonders rest,
hidden, clumping, biding the passage of centuries,
long past the planting
of the pioneers' bones. [162.718]

2006-01-26
noon, 60 degrees. 18 in West Seneca, NY.

Winter? What winter. There are light clouds and 60 degrees. How can this be winter. On the other hand, my friend back east is counting snowflakes. Like that old song: 'Snowflakes keep falling on his head'.

What to do with friends that are depressed? I get depressed, too. So, I'm concerned when I see someone I care about spinning out of control. I kept in touch. Call daily when needed. As he said last night, "but you don't have addictions." And he is right. And I'm grateful for that. But I still wish I had a magic wand to fix it. And it is not mine to fix *Cry*.

Met with Arnelle this morning. She's a hoot. We worked on a application form for a project hiring the homeless that are finding it difficult to get jobs (for whatever reason). It is part of an outreach social and economic project funded by the Catholic Church.

She reminded me of Darlene Antrum. When her son Alvin was stabbed to death, Darlene was able to set aside all bitterness and was able to forgive. I was just devastated. Felt I could've done more for Alvin. He was 18. I believe he would've been 30 last year. His child must be around 12 then. Died in February? Odd how the years make the memories fuzzy. Arnelle had a similar experience.

Ennis del Mar says "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it" in Brokeback Mountain. Not bad advice whether it is loss of love, life, youth or sanity.

What would I give up to be with someone I love? Aaah, but it takes two.

Got Tea at Three Poetry handouts done. I just print front to back and fold to make 4 pages. I always include "Tea-tottering-time. This one, issue #13, has: "Lament of the bottle" in blog entry "Invalid Entry, "The wages of dying is love, "At three, "Letter to Mark from Massachusetts Streets" in blog entry "Invalid Entry.

OVERHEARD

"... giving a hysterectomy to a rat ... while it's alive." Ah, the joys of campus life.

"Papa, her new guinea." Kylie re Kristin's new guinea pig named Papa.

SENSED

Otoe-Missouria Nation licence plates; big horse fly; the barrenness of mid winter; stumps where small trees and brush were removed; century old walnuts.

© Copyright 2006 KÃ¥re Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
KÃ¥re Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/402287-Parody-and-peonies