*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/439843
by Billi
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1130254
Ricky's a somewhat normal teen until one day changes his life.
#439843 added July 11, 2006 at 5:03pm
Restrictions: None
Filling in Drake
         “What’s up, Drake?” Ricky asked, not sure what Drake was confused about. Then he remembered who Drake saw Ricky leave the hospital with.
         “Where’s the Mustang? If that’s not here, Blayze isn’t either. How’d you get here?” Drake questioned. Ricky shifted his weight, turning toward his best friend, then he jerked his head towards the truck and Killer’s little brother. Drake looked and obviously didn’t recognize Viper because the confused look was now more pronounced than it had been before. Ricky heard the Dodge’s rumbling engine, so Viper must’ve seen them. Ricky began walking toward the truck, motioning for Drake to follow. He saw that Viper was off the phone.
         “C’mon, Drake. It’s all right. He’ll only shoot you if you annoy him,” Ricky joked, sounding serious enough to turn Drake’s head, but Drake still followed his best friend around the truck. Ricky pulled his door open, then leaned that passenger seat forward and Drake slid in the backseat.
         “Hey, Viper, this is Drake. Drake, Viper. He works for Deuce,” Ricky elaborated as he slipped into his seat and closed the door. Viper glanced in the rear-view mirror and nodded to acknowledge Drake, sitting behind him.
         “Wait. Deuce? As in the guy who wants you dead and who let his boys try to kill me?” Drake questioned, obviously nervous about being in the same vehicle with one of Deuce’s gangsters. At that, Ricky simply laughed and caught Viper’s eye, grinning.
         “Yep. One and the same. Except Deuce doesn’t want me dead anymore. He did let his boys beat you, though,” Ricky admitted, watching Drake’s reaction. Drake slid over, out of Viper’s reach, even though Viper was occupied with driving.
         “So, where are we headed anyway? We gonna randomly drive around town or what?” Drake asked, obviously not wanting to just hang out with Viper.
         “Yeah, man. For now, at least. I’ve got plenty to tell you. I’ve found out a lot about Rob since we left the hospital and I think you need to know all of it,” Ricky explained. At that, Drake’s curiosity got the best of him and he slid back into the middle of the back seat and leaned between Viper and Ricky.
         “Rick, you sure you’re gonna tell him everything? It cannot get back to Deuce about where you get your info,” Viper warned Ricky, but Ricky nodded. He knew exactly what he was doing.
         “Yeah, Viper, I’m gonna tell him everything he deserves to know, which is everything about Rob. Did you call me Rick?” Ricky questioned, thinking back. Rick sounded more grown up, but Ricky didn’t want to grow up just yet. Viper laughed and glanced over at Ricky and Drake.
         “Yeah, I did. I wanted to see if you’d notice,” Viper told Ricky, who just shook his head and turned in his seat to face Drake.
         “Okay. I’ll try to start at the beginning,” Ricky began, then he sighed and went through everything Viper had told him on the way to pick up Drake. Ricky looked right into Drake’s eyes and watched as Drake’s curiosity turned to worry once Drake learned about Rob/Bobby’s business. When Ricky finished, the three boys were silent, letting Drake soak in the information.
         “Wow. I knew he hated me, but I didn’t think it stretched that far. I definitely never saw him as a gang leader type or whatever you’d call him. So, do you guys think he’d kill me himself? Wait, he wouldn’t hurt my mom, would he, guys? Viper, would he?” Drake asked, nervous and talking fast. Ricky looked past Drake, to Viper who was now chewing on his bottom lip, pointedly avoiding Drake’s and Ricky’s wondering looks.
         “Honestly, if she gives Bobby a reason, he wouldn’t hesitate. I hope, for Drake’s sake, she doesn’t give Bobby any reason to hurt her,” Viper admitted. At that, Drake collapsed back into his seat and he ran his hand through his hair, his eyes shifting, as if he was scanning his memories.
         “Wait, her and Rob were arguing after we got back. She was asking him about the stuff we’d told her. He was still mad at Ricky, so he started yelling at her for believing us over him. That confused me because he hadn’t contradicted anything we’d said, so there was nothing there for her to believe,” Drake explained, glancing in the rear-view mirror at Viper. The driver remained silent, though, and it seemed to Ricky that Killer’s brother was deep in thought.
         “Hey, let’s just go somewhere that we can relax and just chill for a little while, okay?” Ricky suggested. That idea seemed to give Viper a direction to drive because he immediately switched lanes and turned onto a street that looked like it had plenty of business at night. Now, though, it was practically deserted, with a few cars parked on either curb. Viper slid the truck over to one side outside a building that looked like many others in the neighborhood, brick with a few little windows. Above the door was a blue and red sign that sad “TAB: Ty’s Arcade & Bar”. Ricky glanced over at Viper, who was watching for Ricky’s reaction. Ricky grinned, then turned to see Drake with his eyes closed and his chin in his hands. He must have realized that the truck had stopped because his eyes slid open and he glanced out the window.
         “I take it you know this place well, Viper,” Ricky guessed as he and Viper both opened their doors. Viper laughed and walked around the truck as Ricky leaned his seat forward to free Drake from the back seat. As Drake slid out, Viper leaned on the open passenger door behind Ricky. When Ricky had put his seat back, Viper moved to let Ricky close his door, taking a step towards Drake. That’s about when Drake saw Viper’s gun in the holster.
         “Hey, Viper. You, uh, you ain’t planning on using that gun, are you?” Drake asked nervously, though he tried to sound casual about it. At that, Viper flipped his jacket to hide his gun yet again. As Viper answered, the three teens began walking to the door, Drake walking slowly behind Ricky.
         “No, man, I ain’t planning on it. Well, maybe on Bobby if he does something wrong. You guys are safe, though. By the way, I know the guy who owns and runs this place. Behave. I don’t want anything bad getting back to my brother,” Viper explained, standing in the doorway with the door open, watching for the other two’s responses. They both nodded silently, so Viper swung the door out further, then he stepped inside. Ricky and Drake followed him into a bar. All around the walls were booths, except for two spots: the stage at the far end and the actual bar. Next to the stage, there was a doorway, larger than normal, but it had no door in it, so it would be considered by most a hole in the wall. As Ricky and Drake looked around, Viper stepped up to the bar and knocked on the hardwood surface. The sound echoed through the near-empty place, so Ricky couldn’t restrain himself.
         “Echo,” he called to hear his voice bounce off the walls. Drake laughed, but Viper merely grinned and shook his head. All the sudden, the door behind the bar slipped open and out stepped a guy who looked like he had just recently passed his teenage years. He looked like the kind of guy you’d automatically assume was in a gang based on his muscular build, the multicolored tattoos down his arms and his shaved head.
         “Oh, it’s only you. I thought maybe it was somebody important, but no,” the guy joked when he saw Viper. It must’ve registered that he’d heard an unknown voice because he glanced around until he caught sight of the other two.
         “Aw, I love you too, Ty,” Viper told him sarcastically, "We’re gonna be in the back. Figured I’d tell you.” At that, Ty reached into a jar by the door he’d used. He dropped a handful of quarters onto the bar. One rolled off and Ricky slid over to pick it up, moving Viper out of the way.
         “Ignore him. Shiny thinks amuse him to no end. I guess we’re gonna have to use all these, aren’t we?” Viper suggested. At that, Ricky turned back to Drake and they both looked like little kids again. When Ty began to talk again, Ricky casually leaned on the bar and started picking quarters up.
         “I got all these out of the machines anyway. I keep them back here in case I have to challenge one of these young punks to shut them up. Very smooth, kid. Just take them and go use them already,” Ty ordered Ricky after watching the teen try to be sneaky. When Ricky heard that, he glanced up to see if Ty was talking to him. He looked straight into Ty’s blue-gray eyes, so Ricky quickly grabbed a handful of quarters and slid back over to Drake, dropping some of the change into his best friend’s hand.
         “Rick,” Viper called. Ricky spun around to see Killer’s brother pointing towards the doorway by the stage. Ricky assumed that’s where the arcade part was, so he and Drake started walking over there. When they had almost reached the doorway, Ricky heard a loud, metallic clink behind them. He looked back at the bar to see Ty hand Viper a new gun. It was different than the one Viper already had because it was slightly bigger and it just looked more powerful. The two were talking quietly as Viper checked the gun over. Ricky guessed that they had waited for him and Drake to leave for a reason, so he turned back and stepped into the arcade, still nervous, but not showing it. The games were mostly along the walls, except for the air hockey table in the middle of the room. Ricky just laughed as he walked around the room, glancing at the different games and shifting the quarters in his hand. Drake had already started a shooting game, so Ricky strolled over and watched for a minute, but he wanted to play his own. Ricky got an idea and turned back towards the bar.
         “Viper, you have officially been challenged to a game of air hockey! You better get over here or I’m gonna claim a win,” Ricky informed Killer’s brother. When Viper heard his name, he turned, but slid his hand so the gun was now hidden behind him.
         “All right, give me a minute. I’ll be right there,” Viper told him, turning back to Ty. Ricky watched as Viper slipped the gun into a shoulder holster under his jacket. Ricky noticed that the holster was on Viper’s right side so his left hand could slide the new gun out easily. Viper finished what he was telling Ty, then he tapped on the bar before heading back towards Ricky and the arcade.
         “Okay, kid. You ready to get beat?” Viper questioned warningly, making Ricky laugh. As Ricky answered, the two headed towards the air hockey table.
         “Who you calling “kid”? I’m older than you. Plus, don’t say you’re gonna win. That gives me more reason to beat you,” Ricky bantered, slipping his jacket off and setting it on another machine. Viper put the quarters into the table and the game was on. It took a good three minutes before either of them scored. That was an early sign of both their defensive skills and of how long the game was going to be, so Drake finished up his game and watched the hockey. As they were almost done, with Ricky in the lead, the bar door opened and three guys strolled up to the bar, where Ty had been watching the very competitive game. Viper glanced over at the new arrivals and Ricky scored his last point.
         “Yes! Ha-ha, I got you, Viper,” Ricky celebrated. Viper dropped his paddle and shook his head, slightly grinning. Ty began talking to the three who had just come in. Viper glanced over and caught Ty’s eye and nodded, businesslike. Killer’s brother leaned on the game table, holding his jacket to cover his two guns, and he motioned for Ricky and Drake to come closer. They both stepped towards Viper and he explained to them why he’d become businesslike so quickly.
         “Those three guys that just came in, they’re soldiers for Deuce’s worst enemy. Ty just told me that they’re pretty much regulars in here. They have been picking off some of Deuce’s boys just to get even because Deuce is younger than their boss, so they think he isn’t worthy of running a gang. I figure now’s my chance to show them that Deuce’s boys are just as good as anyone else. I just wanted to warn you that I’m about to do something stupid,” Viper reported. With that, everything made sense to Ricky, but Drake hadn’t seen the gun.
         “Viper, what’re you gonna do?” Drake asked, but Ricky was the one who answered.
         “He’s gonna kill ’em. And leave Deuce’s card, so everyone knows what gang you’re loyal to. Right?” Ricky explained. He knew this from when he had occasionally talked to Rebel before Deuce’s brother crossed the line.
         “Yep. Exactly the way it’s gonna roll. Those bastards are just begging to get hurt. The thing is, though, Ty’s neutral when it comes to gangs, so I’ve let them know that it was just timing. Ty isn’t involved in this at all, got it?” Viper told them, making sure that they knew what was going on. The two both nodded.
         “Viper, are the cops gonna know it’s you?” Drake questioned, not sure what gang protection really meant when it came to killing people.
         "They might not right away, but they’ll figure it out. You guys, stay back here. These three always have plenty of firepower,” Viper warned, so Drake and Ricky slipped back so the wall blocked them from the men sitting at the bar, chatting, not knowing of the gun battle that was soon to erupt. Viper slid the new, more powerful gun out of his shoulder holster and held it loosely at his side. Ricky looked straight into Viper’s eyes and saw the nerves. It was obvious that Viper hadn’t done anything like this before, but he knew exactly what he was doing. As Viper walked away, Ricky slid over to the edge of the wall, with just his head in view of the bar. He watched while Viper silently warned Ty to get away from the three gang bangers at the bar. Ty nodded and slipped into a back room. Viper leveled his weapon at shoulder height, but he knew better than to shoot a man in the back.
         “Steel!” Viper called. Time seemed to slow to Ricky as the guy on the end turned to face Viper. As Viper looked right into Steel’s eyes, Killer’s brother squeezed his trigger. Ricky watched as the bullet struck Deuce’s enemy in the chest, forcing him backwards into his friends. Ricky didn’t want to see this, but he couldn’t look away as Viper turned his gun on the other two. The shock of catching their dead friend had passed and they’d dropped Steel, reaching for their own guns, but Viper was ahead of them, shooting one in the hand. Ricky guessed the bullet pierced the vein because of the blood that shot out. The man yelled in pain and Viper turned his gun to the other one, who had his gun out and was aiming. Viper was a very good shot and his bullet went straight down the barrel of the gang banger’s gun. The force ignited the gunpowder, but the bullet couldn’t go anywhere except to bounce off Viper’s bullet and shoot backwards making the gun explode. The man flew back with the little explosion in his hand and Viper shot him between the eyes. That left the gangster who no longer could use his hand, but he was still trying. Viper put the man out of his misery with a bullet to the temple. The silence took over as Ricky and Viper both surveyed the damage. All five of Viper’s bullets had found their targets, so there were no stray bullets in Ty’s bar, which was probably the plan. Viper had beaten all of his enemies to the draw, so none of them got a chance to shoot back. Ricky heard Drake slide up to see what Killer’s brother had managed to get done. Viper pulled a playing card out of his jacket pocket and tossed it onto the last body, the guy with the hole in his hand.
         “Ty! It’s clear!” Viper called before turning towards the arcade to be sure the other two knew it was safe. Ricky and Drake slipped out from behind the wall and stepped over to Viper, still checking out the three on the ground. As Ricky got closer, he could see what card Viper had dropped. It was the two of spades, Deuce’s calling card, Ricky decided.
         “Wow. You’re a really good shot, Viper. Killer teach you that too, dude?” Ricky asked, as Ty stepped out of the back room with a bottle in his hand. Viper laughed, sliding his gun back into his shoulder holster.
         “Kinda. Killer taught me some, Deuce taught me, and I practiced a lot on my own. Ty, I tried to keep your place in one piece. I actually think I did pretty good at it,” Viper admitted. Ty grinned, glancing down at the guys on the floor as he set the bottle down on the bar. The grin faded as he looked at the dead bodies.
         “Viper, don’t you think we should get outta here now? The cops are probably gonna show up soon,” Ricky realized. Viper glanced over at him, nodding.
         “Let’s get outta here so Ty can call the cops on me. We can get Drake back home. I wanna see what Bobby tries to pull when he sees me,” Viper told him. Ty slid over to his phone and put it to his ear while Ricky, Drake, and Viper headed toward the door. Viper knocked on the bar as he passed Ty. Ricky decided that that was how Viper said bye because he’d done it before. When they were almost at the door, Ricky heard Ty on the phone.
         “Yeah, I need the police and the ambulance. Actually, I’ll probably need the coroner. There was a gang fight in my bar," Ty told the dispatcher. He was cut off as the door closed behind Ricky, who was the last one out the door. Viper and Drake were almost in the truck as Ricky came up to the open passenger door and waited as Drake slipped into his seat behind Ricky’s seat. The wind was picking up and this time, it bit into Ricky’s bones and through his whole body. Once Drake was settled into his seat, Ricky passed the passenger seat back and slid into his own seat while closing his door. Viper was already settled and the truck’s engine was rumbling.
© Copyright 2006 Billi (UN: chaosangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Billi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/439843