*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/451291-Wren-why-didnt-you-blog
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#451291 added August 29, 2006 at 4:53pm
Restrictions: None
Wren, why didn't you blog?
*Idea* *Idea* *Idea* *Idea*

Wren began to clear the table, and Rupert got up to help her. Following her into the kitchen, he said,
”Wren, you seem a little flat tonight. Are you not feeling well?”

“No, I’m all right,” she said, her back to him.

“No you aren’t. I can tell that. And you didn’t blog yesterday either. Are you working on something else?”

“Not really.”

“What is it then?”

“Bernard got in a bit of a tiff with me about spending so much time on the computer, I’m afraid.”

“Did he have something else he wanted you to do?”

“No, that’s just it. He says he just wants my attention. He wants to be doing things with me. We went to a party Saturday night, and then to a movie we both wanted to see. He played on his computer the same time as I was on mine during the day, but he says he was just waiting for me to be done with it. He was very angry, but didn’t mention it until Sunday on the way to church, of all possible times. It really broke me up, and I had a hard time doing my job.”

“Oh, Wren, I’m so sorry. I know how much you like it. He doesn’t want you to give it up altogether, does he? “

“Just when he’s at home. It feels very unfair to me. I mean, I’m sorry he’s upset that he’s not getting enough of my attention, and I’ll try to do better. All the same, I don’t feel very valued either.”

“What’s this I hear? Are you and Bernard having a fight, Wren?” asked Margot.

“Oh no, not at all,”said Wren.

“It certainly sounded like it to me.”

“Well, Margot, as Mother always said, ‘Little pitchers have big ears.’”

“What is that supposed to mean?” asked Margot.

“I never really knew either,” answered Wren as she picked up the dessert plates and forks and handed them to Margot. “Be a love and take these out, won’t you please?"

“Now, what have I gotten myself into?” she asked Rupert quietly.

“I heard that,” said Margot. “Say, did I tell you what Bernard asked me the other day?” She didn’t pause for an answer. “He said his secretary had misplaced her appointment book, and she complained that she couldn’t find her ‘brain.’ And then the nurse at the doctor’s office had put her clipboard down somewhere, and said she couldn’t find her brain either. He asked me if I thought that was what you meant the other day when you said you couldn’t find your right mind. Isn’t that dear?”

“What did you answer him?” Rupert asked.

“I said, ‘Something like that.’ I really didn't understand what you were talking about either.”

"I'd venture a guess that she was talking about her muse, weren't you Wren?"

"That is absolutely no clearer. You writers!"

*Idea* *Idea* *Idea* *Idea*

© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/451291-Wren-why-didnt-you-blog