*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458073-A--Walk-in-the-Woods
Rated: 13+ · Book · Animal · #1067322
Some thoughts on living and working in France and conversations with my sheep!
#458073 added September 29, 2006 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
A Walk in the Woods.
Every morning the first thing I do is to walk my dogs in our woods, we have about four hectares and it is probably what I shall miss most when we move. This morning was no different but I just thought I would take the time to describe what I saw. This summer we have had another drought and the wood has suffered again, many of the smaller trees have died and will need to be felled, as our heating runs on wood this is not a problem. Also the grass died back and the wood was quite depressing to look at. Over the last few weeks we have had a reasonable amount of rain and the grass has come through and it looks greener and healthier. However the overall impression is of a wood under pressure, we hope that a couple of years of normal weather will restore the wood to its former glory.

When I first came to France I did a Forestry course in order to learn how best to manage our wood. Since then we have been progressively thinning out the weaker trees to allow the better trees to thrive. The soil is quite poor so it is important to reduce the density. We have also aimed to leave wild areas where the wildlife can be undisturbed although with the local hunt this is not always possible!!

So on any morning it is possible to see deer, red squirrels, hares, wild boor,and a wide variety of birds. This morning I was just pleased to enjoy the peace and quiet, a few birds singing, a tractor in the distance probably ploughing, and to see what was new.

Today there were plenty of Parasol mushrooms and the berries on the Holly trees are beginning to turn red. There are also lots of fruits on the wild Crab apple and Medlar trees. I think an old proverb says that when there is a lot of fruit on the trees then the winter will be hard. We have not had a really cold winter for a long time so perhaps we are due one!!

I really enjoy the changing seasons and could not imagine living anywhere without the four seasons. Each time of the year has for me something to commend it but the wood is at it's most beautiful in the Spring. But it can also be magical on a cold Autumn morning when the hoar frost highlights the spider webbs, the droplets of water glinting like jewels in the pale Autumn sun.

Because I have a limited amount of time left to enjoy my mornings in the wood I want to make the most of them. I take lots of photos and have started to write down things that inspire me. If ever I feel depressed then a walk in the woods is an excellent pick me up. I know how lucky I am.

© Copyright 2006 esperaza (UN: sheepish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
esperaza has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458073-A--Walk-in-the-Woods