*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506671-Voting-Rights
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Foreign · #1096405
My thoughts on what's going on
#506671 added May 7, 2007 at 4:38am
Restrictions: None
Voting Rights
I have just voted in the preselection of my local candidate for the Federal House seat of Dunkley, which is where Frankston is located in Victoria, Australia.

One of the things about Australian Elections I am impressed with is the professional way in which they are carried out by the Electoral Commission. Although corruption of the system is possible, it is less likely and most elections are completed without a fuss ( as far as the conduct of the Commision is concerned). The Politician carry on as usual.

The other thing that impresses me is the preferential voting system that is used to determine the successful candidate. Along with the compulsory voting, it means that the problems associated with the last US Federal Elections, Florida comes to mind but other states had major issues that I could hardly imagine here in OZ.

So next time the elctoral system in the US comes under scrutiny consider the alternative down under and try for a change:)

© Copyright 2007 Amunhotep (UN: amunhotep at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amunhotep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506671-Voting-Rights