*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549782-Fatality
by Ashlen
Rated: ASR · Book · Romance/Love · #1349213
A summer of love that leads to a lifetime of memories. Lies,deceit,confusion, and passion.
#549782 added November 17, 2007 at 3:09pm
Restrictions: None
Fatality
AUGUST 1941

“I don’t know Ian. You might not feel comfortable where I live.” Ian smiled and held her close, gazing into her hazel eyes, “Of course I’ll feel comfortable. We may live like that one day!” Brooke giggled and rested her head against his chest. “Okay you stubborn fool. Let’s go meet my parents. Mother is a bit superficial I must warn you, but Father is a teddy bear. I’m sure they’ll love you as much as I do!” Brooke grinned and Ian noted that her front teeth had a small gap between them. Extremely small but just enough to add a cute tweak to her profile. They got into Ian’s old pickup truck and Ian held one of her hands as they drove towards her mansion. As they pulled into the gravel drive and Brooke hopped out immediately. “Let me warn them first.” she said and ran up the front steps. Ian cut the engine and leaned back in his chair gazing at the beautiful white home next to him. A few minutes later Brooke dashed out and pulled him from the car. “Come on in now! Mothers in town with the ladies but Daddy’s here and ready to meet you!”

The blaring sound of a police car filled the park and Ian jumped, jolted out of his daydream. Noticing he was nearly in front of his apartment building he put off his thoughts  for another time. He walked across the gravel street and entered the run down building. Ian headed towards the stairs instead of the elevator, preferring the steady walk. “I have to keep my girlish figure.” he thought with a laugh. As he reached the 3rd floor he began hearing a voice coming from the direction of his apartment. “Bud must have a visitor over.” he thought of his roommate, “I’m sure he won’t mind if I duck in and go to my room.” As Ian reached his apartment though, he saw that the door was ajar. “Bud never leaves the door unlocked, much less open.” he whispered and then felt a searing pain in his head and his last thought was, “I love you Brooke.”

Miss Brooke Marshall,
This letter is regarding a Mr. Ian Hesston. You are the only contact he has listed in our office. I regret to inform you that Mr. Hesston passed away three weeks ago. He left a will behind stating that you are the sole beneficiary to any and all of his belongings, the total sum being $13,000. To collect your inheritance, please contact our office. The numbers are listed in a card, included in this package. Our office is here for you in your time of grievance.
R&L Attorneys at Law

After Brooke received that letter her entire world flipped upside down. Things would never quite be the same again. Her parents respected her grieving and let her be but after many months they grew tired of seeing her never ending tears and constant state of depression. The last straw was pulled on the 6 month anniversary of Ian’s death.
         
         “Brooke, darling, it’s been 6 months now. Honestly, this boy was a poor worker and it would never have worked out. Your father and I have been very patient with you about this but it’s time to end this nonsense. He is NOT coming back. Do yourself a favor and stop making the rest of us suffer along with you.” Brooke threw herself from the table, scattering silverware and food. “Mother, you are cold and heartless. I can’t believe your so...so…selfish. Honestly!” She picked up the skirt of her dress and marched upstairs, slamming the door loudly. Her father grimaced and rang the bell, signaling dinner was over. Then he rose and picked up what was left of Brooke’s fit. “Leave the girl alone Mary. It was her first love.”
         
         That night a piercing scream rang through the house and Brooke’s parents awoke with a start. They immediately rushed to Brooke’s bedroom to see a maid standing completely still in the doorway. Brushing past her he rushed into the bedroom and saw the window curtains fluttering in the chill wind. “Where’s my daughter?” he yelled at the maid and trembling she stuttered “I  walk in da room to see Miss Brooke hangin’ out da winda’. She look at me wit devils eyes sir. She was possessed. She den threw ‘erself out the winda and scream a devils scream sir. She was crazed.” With a nod he threw himself past the maid and ran down the spiral staircase and out the back door in the kitchen, followed closely by the maid and his wife. He stepped into the night and ran barefoot on the gravel that ran alongside the house. He was a couple hundred yards away when he saw Brooke’s body shadowed in the moonlight and he picked up great speed. “Call the doctor!” he bellowed and the maid immediately ran back inside the house. He grabbed Brooke’s limp wrist and tears ran from his eyes. “Darling it will all be okay.” he whispered, reassuring himself more than anyone. His wife stood a few yards away, arms crossed, surveying the situation. She spoke no words but her thoughts were loud and clear. She had no pity, but only careful dislike of her daughter. Blood was seeping from a wound in Brooke’s head and she was unconscious but a quick feel of her pulse and her father was sure she was still alive.
         
         The doctor arrived 15 minutes later and quickly moved the girl inside. He propped her up in the guest bedroom downstairs and shooed everyone out. After awhile he walked into the kitchen where coffee was served and the adults all milled around, waiting to hear what the news was. Brooke’s mother had called a few of her close friends who in turn called some more friends and a midnight party was held in the kitchen. All voices grew quiet as the doctor cleared his throat. “Brooke has a small concussion and many cuts and bruises. She also broke her collar bone and her right leg. As for her mental state, I am unclear. I recommend you get an immediate appointment with a physiatrist. She is beyond my training. Good day. Or shall I say good night?” he chuckled and with that, tipped his hat and left.
© Copyright 2007 Ashlen (UN: fatallyashley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ashlen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549782-Fatality