*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549783-Revelation
by Ashlen
Rated: ASR · Book · Romance/Love · #1349213
A summer of love that leads to a lifetime of memories. Lies,deceit,confusion, and passion.
#549783 added November 17, 2007 at 3:11pm
Restrictions: None
Revelation
After the doctor’s announcement the woman gathered in little groups and gossiped quietly about the girl. Rumors spread like wildfire and the entire town knew of the failed attempt at suicide and mad desire to join her lover. Brooke was meanwhile slowly deteriorating and couldn’t get past the pain. She became pale and withdrawn. When people came to see her she would just blink and stare at something beyond their sight. Her body became a shell and her soul was hiding and disappearing piece by piece. Eventually her parents began looking into mental institutions and it broke her father’s heart. They soon chose a nice place called Glory Shadows and decided to give Brooke a week to come back before they took her away. The day before they were to check her in, a knock came at the door. Brooke’s father went to answer it and was met with a handsome man in his 30’s. He had a mop of brown hair carelessly arranged on his head and his hands where calloused and beaten from years of honest work. He smiled heartily and reached out to Brooke’s father, shaking his hand earnestly.          The man lowered his hat and smiled at Brooke’s father. “Hello sir. My name is Mr. Hesston. Mitchell Hesston.” Her father frowned uncertainly and said “I’m sorry…do I know you?” “Oh yes.” he said, “I am Ian’s father.”

“Brooke, darling? A man is here to see you.” Brooke looked sideways at her father and smiled a hollow smile. “Sorry daddy. I’m serving tea. I can’t bear to be bothered! Come again soon please.” She then turned toward the empty sheet of paper in her hands and studied it hard. Her father sighed and turned towards Mr. Hesston. “As you can see, she’s suffered from your son’s death. It might be best that you not speak to her.” “Sir, I have traveled many miles to get here and I think what I have to say  could possibly help her. Really what harm could be done?” Again her father grimaced but had no argument and simply held the door open. Mr. Hesston smiled a thank you and entered as Brooke’s father closed the door behind him.
“Hello dear. Wicketts aye?” Brooke giggled and turned toward him. “You’re a funny man. What in the world is a wickett?” Mr. Hesston grinned and sat in the rocker facing the bed she was seated cross-legged on. “No idea.” he said and she smiled. She lifted her eyes and when she met his gaze she let out a groan and quickly lowered her eyes again. “You know who I am don’t you?” he muttered and she nodded silently. “Mr. Hesston.” tears slid down her pale cheeks and she gripped a decorative pillow tightly to her chest. “I have news for you Brooke, that I’m not quite sure you can handle. Tell me you can and mean it. I assure you it is the best news in the world.” Brooke’s mouth dropped open and her eyes flickered with signs of life. Outside the room her father’s eyes teared up and he let a tentative smile dance across his face for the first time in months, since the day Ian died. “Mr. Hesston I swear to you if there is anything in this world I can handle, it is good news.” Leaning forward to hear his every word, her tangled auburn hair fell into her face but she made no move to brush it away. Mr. Hesston swallowed and looked directly into her eyes. When he spoke it was clear and precise, “Ian came home two weeks ago. He is alive.”
© Copyright 2007 Ashlen (UN: fatallyashley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ashlen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549783-Revelation