*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583402-Lagniappe
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#583402 added May 5, 2008 at 11:09am
Restrictions: None
Lagniappe
A baker's dozen, a lollipop for the child at the check out counter, a little bit extra. Ces choses sont lagniappes. It is a part of the Louisiana Cajun culture. Ask *Barbara Maria* . The word is originally Quechua through Spanish. But from East Tex to Mississip it is that extra dollop of kindness on top of whatever was purchased. *Delight*

I'm moved. Exhausted more than sore. Not happy; I liked the old place. Just couldn't afford it and travel at the same time. I'm not complaining loudly, just mumbling to myself. Poverty is merely having fewer choices. I've chosen to move on from this town and this part of my life and the expense of a house would prevent me from hitting the road.

Poverty! It can be freeing, y'know! I should be shouting with glee. *Bigsmile* Last year at this time I had no income and my housing situation was dismal. This place may be dreary and on the other side of town from my support network, but I have a key! And wireless internet too. *Wink*

Two years ago ... those of you who know ... need no reminding and those who don't ... don't need no edumacation. Let's say that the Cajun word calaboose comes to mind (that would overstate the situation, but I'm a poet ... gimme a break).

Dusk is called the gloaming because it follows the day, much like an aubade follows the dawn. Perspective is an integral part of many words: what comes before or after, what is feared or anticipated with joy, words always compare. It is this, not that. Concepts like light and darkness; white and black define each other. Life, on the other hand, tends to be brighter and gloomier shades of grey.

Today is merely a different shade of grey. The sun is out and I'm in Kansas.
4466

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583402-Lagniappe