*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583887-Growing-up
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#583887 added May 7, 2008 at 11:11pm
Restrictions: None
Growing up
"Invalid Entry is difficult! Growing up is process of learning that all our actions have consequences. Maturity comes when the individual realizes that her or his actions have consequences and some of those consequences have legal ramifications.

A 14 year old is too young to realize the consequences of sex.
An 18 year old may be too immature to understand the consequences of sex.
The legal system is flawed.
A 14 year old girl should not be dating an 18 year old "man".
A 14 year old girl in love doesn't think beyond the point of pleasing the person she loves.
An 18 year old male doesn't think beyond the point of getting what he wants.
All of these are valid points and all indicate to a deeper rooted problem, which neither laws nor criminalizing behavior can solve.

If a law is on the books then it should be enforced, but enforcing a law doesn't solve a deep rooted problem. Enforcing the law only brings the problem into the light of day where the reason for the problem can be discussed and solutions can be found.

Solutions to teen pregnancy or children killing someone doesn't come from congress or laws. The solutions come from the grass roots level and community actions. Congress and state legislatures can make laws that deal with these problems, while law enforcement officers can enforce the laws. It is the citizens themselves that must find permanent solutions to these problems.

We can bitch about a law being wrongly applied all we want to, but until we are willing to roll up our sleeves and look at every component that went into the problem that got the law on the books, we're not going to solve the problem or effect the way the law is applied.

Those are my thoughts on this subject. I hope that I didn't offend anyone. I hope that I may myself clear.


** Image ID #1382532 Unavailable **



© Copyright 2008 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583887-Growing-up