*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/586822-Make-up-for-May-22-573-words
by Justyn
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1384124
Daily entries, inspired by 500-Word a day group
#586822 added May 24, 2008 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
Make up for May 22 573 words
Bailey got to be a "Keeper Kid" at the Bear and Wolf Center. Man, was that super cool!!! They rotate the bear population into the enclosure every two hours or so. In the morning, between rotations, the Keeper Kids get to go into the enclosure to hide food for the bears. (Of course the bears are not IN the enclosure, which is what one mom asked!!! I said, no, that would change things from HIDING lunch to BECOMING lunch!!!) Anyway....Bailey got to do this program, and since the weather was so nasty, she was the ONLY one. It was so awesome, she got one-on-one time with the naturalist and the keeper. Then, after she was done, they released the bears, and she got to see them searching and finding the food she left for them. It was SO cool!!! Another really neat (and rather out of the ordinary) thing occurred at the Bear and Wolf Center that day. There was a delivery into the wolves' enclosure of live fish into their pond. It took probably 45 minutes to stock their pond. This only occurs a few times a summer, so it is very much NOT natural behavior for the wolves.....which means they weren't' expecting the people to feed them or anything. By doing this, the center ensures that both the bears and wolves really cultivate "natural" habits as if they were in the wild. When we left, the alpha male Hayden was getting ready to catch his fresh fish out of the pond. It was pretty amazing.

© Copyright 2008 Justyn (UN: kjsleah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Justyn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/586822-Make-up-for-May-22-573-words