*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599324-chicken-soup-Wednesday
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1211684
My blog--I pull a card--if it doesn't speak to me...perhaps it is for you?
#599324 added July 30, 2008 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
chicken soup Wednesday


signature created by Jem

I have toyed and played with the idea of living more simply, more frugally over the years. Not that I've ever lived with tons of money, but I've never gone hungry, never been totally broke! But I want to begin doing this more intentionally. Today, I've got a pot of chicken soup brewing, using the leftover carcass from yesterday's roast chicken....and the smell of garlic, onion, celery fill the air.

I am listening to an audio book about living frugally...the philosophy that less is often more....and that our lives need to be about more than just getting and spending....getting and spending. There was an article in our local paper recently about a group called The Compact....who have essentially pledged to stop buying new....reuse, recycle, give away...I am essentially an old hippie at heart...so this speaks to my soul and my larger Self.....I think at heart I am a socialist...or maybe an anarchist......can you be an anarchist and a pacifist at the same time?

I've run across a movie titled "What Would Jesus Buy?".....need to see if Netflix carries it.

When David and I were both without jobs we cancelled the premium cable service...we get basic service in our condo fees...and I joined Netflix on their cheapest plan. This works better for us...saves some money.....we rarely watched TV anyway!

I've made a committment to stop buying books on on-line...one of my biggest extravagances....and instead to utilize the library, thrift stores, yard sales. I still can't resist picking up books for the grandkids at Goodwill...59 cents a pop!

One of our biggest indulgences has always been eating out....being a tourist town Naples has a wealth of great restaurants.....but I know this will have to change from a 2 to 3 times a week activity to special occasions.....and use of a coupon! Probably better for our waistlines and our health anyway!

What I'm aiming for is not to be deprived ...but to discover true joy, and true abundance and prosperity....that often has nothing to do with how much you have, or how much you spend.....

I took off the rubber band I was wearing in my complaint-free world experiment. Need to start over....had an emotional meltdown on Friday...had to deal with the Social Security Administration....apparently my birthdate was transposed back in 2000 when I changed names due to marriage. It was never caught till recently! In hindsight...I could view this as a good thing it was caught now....but at the time it was not a pleasant experience. I hate dealing with government entities and went in that day already prepared for things to go wrong....and they did.....ah well....



The small choices we make on a daily basis really do impact the world globally.

I start orientation for my new job tomorrow!

I have put together a small book of my poetry for my sister's birthday....I had bought pretty blank books at Target in their $1.00 bins...using that...had bought 4...so have 3 left for other gifts. I want to embellish the books with stickers... I have money left on a gift card from Barnes and Noble...will peruse their bargain bins.

Blessings!






© Copyright 2008 ridinghhood-p.boutilier (UN: ridinghhood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ridinghhood-p.boutilier has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599324-chicken-soup-Wednesday