*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599492-Day-4-Task-1-God-or-Science--The-Answer-is-Clear
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1456010
SECOND PLACE! - Season Three Author's Spotlight Competition
#599492 added January 6, 2023 at 9:17pm
Restrictions: None
Day 4 Task 1: God or Science? The Answer is Clear:
God or Science? The Answer is Clear
Carol Marsella



Some time ago, I witnessed a scruffy, middle aged, Midwesterner, clearly of the middle class, give one of the most poignant, elegant, logical speeches I have ever heard. I am remiss to have forgotten his name, but his words still linger in my mind, and I believe they will for the rest of my life.

"Scientists," he started, "tend to think they invented what God, in His infinite wisdom, gave them the intelligence, the curiosity, and the talent to discover."

In that moment, every fiber of my being tingled with enlightenment.

To that I will add, we can explain science, but we cannot explain God.

Science - all science - is based upon a pyramid of equations, facts, and theories, all based each upon the other. In some cases, these facts, theories and equations lead us forward - as in the realm of "how to". In other cases, they move backward, as in the realm of "where from". All questions, without exception, have definitive, definable, tangible, explainable, teachable, really cool answers.

How easy to believe!

Consider, on the other hand, how difficult it is, given world events and the unkindnesses between men, to believe in the unseen God. The benevolent Being, Who supposedly created us and loves us perfectly and unconditionally.

If we cannot nail down such a thing and explain it, how then can it exist? How can we believe in something that had no beginning and will have no end? How can we fathom the very aspect of eternity? "Pah!" we say, authoritatively when such notions are put to the test. "Rubbish and poppy cock," we declare. "This is a fairy tale, created for weak minded individuals who do not want to take responsibility for their own actions."

Have I gone off on a tangent? Perhaps. So let me now present my argument in its purest form.

It is both.


I will leave you with three questions, the first two are independent of one another. The third, however is dependent upon the first two. You will need a ruler in order to come up with the answer.

1. Can God exist without Science?

2. Can Science exist without God?

3. Explain conscious life.

When you can answer number three, you have the answer you seek.


END
W/C 384


Carol


*FLOWER3*  A WDC Must Read!  *FLOWER3*
Variations - 'The Road Not Taken'  (E)
What if Shel Silverstein, Poe, Emily Dickinson or Tolkien had written Robert Frost's poem?
#1428182 by Ben Langhinrichs


** Image ID #1455312 Unavailable **

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY AMAZING ADOPTEES:
fiercepeace AND ~Avalia of Len~

I am proud to be a member of the following groups, as well:

"Invalid Item  "The Talent Pond  "Invalid Item
"Invalid Item  "The Writer's Workshop  "Invalid Item
© Copyright 2023 🌷 Carol St.Ann 🌷 (UN: bookmeister at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
🌷 Carol St.Ann 🌷 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599492-Day-4-Task-1-God-or-Science--The-Answer-is-Clear