*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/616887-Moving-Forward
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#616887 added November 5, 2008 at 1:49pm
Restrictions: None
Moving Forward
Well, last night was a pretty historic night. Whether the candidates and ballot measures you voted for won or not, I don't think anybody can deny that this was one of the most exciting elections in recent years. At least from where I stood in line outside my polling place, there was a distinct energy in the air; a welcome relief from the apathy and general discouragement that seemed to permeate the political process in recent years. Particularly in my home state of California (as I'm sure was true in many other states), there was a general feeling that - be it for the presidential race, or a particular ballot measure - that each of our votes counted and that we were casting our vote for what we believed in. It felt like the people were determining policy again, rather than the majority sitting idly by while they few key "battleground" states and districts determined the course of the election.

But now it's time to move forward. Whether you voted for him or not, President-elect Barack Obama will lead this country for the next four years. I only hope that we can all set aside our differences, our partisan politics and our disagreements with one another... so that we can all work toward the dream of a better and brighter America... not as individuals, Democrats, or Republicans... but as Americans.

© Copyright 2008 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/616887-Moving-Forward