*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619082-Chapter-4-Roppongi
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #1496620
An experimental American Novel with Anime style comedy/slapstick.
#619082 added December 14, 2008 at 6:05pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4: Roppongi
Joe left his office at seven to make the hour-long train ride from Kamakura Station to the Roppongi Station in Tokyo for his meeting with Zhao and Fred. In Japan, the work of cultivating business relations began after office hours. Although he had known Zhao and Fred since high school, they were now business associates in the human energy industry. Consequently, he could not refuse Zhao’s invitation for a drink.

Joe slept on the half-empty train. The passengers were either text messaging, reading, sleeping, or staring into nowhere. In Japan, people hardly made conversation with strangers during the train ride.

Joe instinctively awoke just before reaching his stop. Many in Japan shared that uncanny ability to open their eyes just before arriving at their station. Wiping saliva from his mouth, Joe sat quietly listening to the train’s rumbling sounds until the train stopped.

The Roppongi Station was bustling with people.

Joe called Zhao on his cell phone. “Hello, Zhao?”

“Are you at the station?”

“Yeah. Where should I meet you?”

“Meet us at Kurobe. Fred is already here.”

“Okay.”

Zhao’s family came from Taiwan and made their fortune in the trading business. Through family connections, he entered the best business schools and rubbed shoulders with very powerful people. He became a hardcore businessman running a multibillion dollar investment banking company with numerous interests.

Zhao, Joe, and Fred, partnered up to start Human Energy Inc. Zhao provided the seed money, Joe the medical expertise and Fred the technological know-how. With the seed money almost tapped out, Zhao wanted to take the company public.

The main street in Roppongi was lined with many tall buildings lit with neon signs. Joe walked through the crowded streets toward the meeting place. Along the way, bouncer-type individuals called out for him to enter their establishments. There were restaurants, nightclubs, and bars. Joe refused all of the unsolicited invitations and headed straight for his destination.

Joe entered an elevator of a tall thin building. Kurobe was located on the fifth floor. When the elevator opened, a man wearing a tuxedo greeted him.

“Welcome.” The man bowed.

“I’m here to see Zhao.”

“Yes sir. We have been waiting for you. Please follow me.”

The hostess bar was dimly lit. Joe walked through the main area with many booths where male clients sat drinking with female hostesses. Zhao and Fred were partying in the VIP room.

“Hey!” Joe shouted to his friends.

Fred looked toward Joe. “He’s here!”

Zhao turned his head. “Joe, you’re late! Come sit down.”

Surrounded by high-fashioned women, the three men sat on sofas around a rectangular table, covered with drinking glasses and liquor bottles. Each glass filled with ice and sparkling gold colored whiskey.

© Copyright 2008 uchinanchu (UN: johnhiga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
uchinanchu has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619082-Chapter-4-Roppongi