*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623441-When-I-was-Younger-I-could-remember-anything-whether
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#623441 added December 10, 2008 at 8:17am
Restrictions: None
When I was Younger, I could remember anything, whether....
" When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not. - Mark Twain.





Very interesting prompt. Twain is talking of imagination. When I was very little, I conversed with giants and fairies, elves and trolls, aliens and monsters without difficulty. I could sit down with a piece of paper and draw my adventures. Acting out the parts aloud, I must have bewildered my more matter-of-fact parents.





One day I "saw" a rainbow of colors in my room. I had to share these colors with someone and dragged my mother to my room. She was not amused and less so when she could not figure out what I was talking about. After she left, I found the colors again. There was a shaft of sun light coming through a fish tank breaking into a prism.





After I started school, I realized not everyone thinks as I do. As I grew older, grades, peer pressure, expectations and trying to be normal all seem to work to kill imagination. Now that I've hit real middle age, expectations, conventional thinking, don't seem to have the hold that they once did. Normal is overrated anyway.  I think that is why I have started writing again. I have always kept a journal of some sort. But I have never had consistent output or put my writing to the test.





I wonder how old Twain was when he made that quote. I can now remember everything whether it happened or not.










© Copyright 2008 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623441-When-I-was-Younger-I-could-remember-anything-whether