*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634340
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#634340 added February 8, 2009 at 4:44pm
Restrictions: None
The Ice Storm from Hell Part 6
Days six and seven were pretty much repeats of the other days.  We still had no lights, but there were some real pluses about cuddling under the comforters from dark until daylight.

When we finally did get electricity, it took two whole days to clean up from our Camping In exercise.  How can you wear the same clothes everyday and have five loads of wash for two people.  Beats me!

Sunday the temperature reached 70 degrees.  That’s Arkansas’s fickle weather for you.  However, plenty of ice was still around.

My school could not start until Wednesday, February 3, 2009.  It was the ninth day of our ordeal.  As I write this today half the students and faculty here are still without electricity and/or water.  My traditional good luck continues, however.  My classroom is the only one without heat.  I am waiting for a new heater to be installed.  The temperature stays between fifty-one and fifty-five degrees.  My classes have been meeting in the library where the ceiling leaked rather badly destroying four new computers and soaking the carpeting.  It’s warm in the library but the  infiltrating the aroma smells like air freshener gone awry.  The fact that it tries to mask the moldy carpet fragrance can’t be overlooked or covered up.  The librarians and I are using Vicks VapoRub shoved up our noses to enhance an already unbearable atmosphere.  I’m so thankful the first principle I learned as a teacher was ‘Monitor and Adjust”.  My corollary to that is......and keep on laughing.

I'm glad to be finished with this account (as I am sure you are too if you happen to wade through it all) but I couldn't help but still be awed by all the trees and power lines that are still making our beautiful countryside look like a war zone.

Thus, ends the accounting of the Ice Storm from Hell.  Please pray for those who are still battling it and the school that still remain closed for various reasons.

© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634340