*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/650164-May-2009-Good-vs-Evil
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shaara
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1531809
These are the Newsletters I have written so far for Writing.com.
#650164 added June 18, 2009 at 7:59am
Restrictions: None
May, 2009: Good vs. Evil
As one of your Fantasy editors, my goal is to challenge you to think outside the KNOWN and to help you inject your tales with fascinating facts while jagging left and right through troublesome frolics and teethe-writhing dilemmas.

Perhaps we can help each other to safely jog through these twisty turns of radical thought, alternate viewpoint, and dynamic detail. Come! Let’s head down the Path of Dimensions, untextured by any earthly array.

In other words,

let’s drop out of reality for awhile.

Shall we?



This is the dragon who flies your dreams and ideas.





Good vs. Evil



This is a dragon that frightens -- maybe.



Most of us recognize the fact that a first-class story, including its cousin—the fat, lengthy novel – relies for its premise on the old-fashioned theme of good vs. evil. That is universal. Some stories propose to show us that evil men/women can be partly good. Some tales humanize animals or aliens or strange beasts from the fantasy world, but we sort them all. Like kindergarteners we divide our characters: the beautiful and kind on one side, the wicked and ugly on the other.

“False!” yell some of you, jumping onto the argument that sometimes the ugly person has a beautiful side which causes her/him to become the heroine/hero. Certainly. That means the author has shown you how her/his character traveled in the book from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan. Luke from Star Wars, a do-nothing kid from a backward planet, grows into a war hero. Frodo gains courage. Dorothy matures into a young woman who can battle witches. Thus, beauty triumphs. (Remember, beauty doesn’t have to be the surface layer of flaky skin plus one nose, one mouth, and two eyes. Beauty can be the soul of the creature, the way he/she endeavors to do good, to be kind, gentle, to become an earnest and loyal Girl Scout/Boy Scout.)

Ergo, as I said, we have the basic recipe for any book: the battle between good and evil.

But what if you don’t want an evil villain in your story?

Impossible!

There is always a villain – an earthquake, a tornado, an avalanche, a spaceship leak, a black hole, a wolf, a bear, an ogre, or some dark void of a horrible something. Evil exists and must exist. It is the opposite – a part of yin and yang. (I find it interesting that the “yin” in Chinese philosophy stands for darkness, negativity, and femininity. Did the early Chinese also hear the story of Adam and Eve, in which all the sin of the world lies atop female shoulders?)

[Ack! I can’t let that one go so easily I bet the truth is that Adam would have eaten the apple even if Eve hadn’t been there to take all the blame. However, returning to my subject . . .

Further analysis tells us that the Yang symbolizes the principle of light, motivation, heat, and masculinity, as in Prometheus – the male who brought us fire. But what happened to Mother Nature who brought us all that is good? The concept of Nuba’s “Great Mother,” Gaia, and Brighid, from the Irish, also seem to have been misplaced.

But Yin and Yang absolutely work perfectly for this good vs. evil concept that we use to write stories, for they are absolute counterparts of each other -- both essential in the proper functioning of our world and of literature.

But haven’t you ever wondered why each story must end (if it ends happily) with the conquering of EVIL? Yet, evil can really never be conquered. Whatever results occur in a book can be at best temporary battles, waged, fought, and the troops withdrawn to fight another day. That battle ends, perhaps, but another one only starts up in the next chapter or inthe next book. The evil counterpart – that’s the necessary functioning of life’s wobble. We must have evil or else . . .

But we are authors, not philosophers, so how does this daily battle of evil vs. good engage us? To be honest, it takes us by the neck and shakes us as if we were no more than a scrap of cloth. Oh, I know, we authors are supposedly the Creatures of Power. It is we who must prepare the bed so evil can grow between the blankets of sleepy or sleeping characters. Yet we must bow down to its forceful jaws, remembering always that without some kind of EVIL there can be no story, no purpose, no battle – no victory at the end.

Thus, if your fire-breathing dragon with flaming eyes becomes friendly, then who can the knight defeat? If your wicked ogre that gnashes its teeth and slobbers like a rabid dog loses its preference for meat and turns vegetarian, at whom will the pheasants rant and rail? If a dainty princess who is good and fair is not stolen away from the castle by the mean, ugly villain who wishes her (or the kingdom) great harm, then where is your tale?

Yet, those are mere fairytales, you say. You want something more sophisticated – an evil we can understand in depth, a villain with whom we can empathize. As a reader, I heartily approve of such. I love to turn the corners of episodes while nibbling at my fingernails and wrecking havoc with my lower lip. So do most modern readers/authors.

Remember in the first “Men in Black” movie – it was not one of the alien monsters who popped out with teeth sharper than thrown knives that was the danger. It was the innocent little girl with the pigtails and freckles – and a machine gun behind her back. Trick us, if you like, authors. Make us do back flips of panic, but at some point, show us that huge, hairy EVIL. Hide him, if you will, buried beneath a stretch of sand where we’re walking, one hand slowly inching up so he can make a grab at our ankles.

Anyone who reads mysteries knows that the simplest answer is almost never the right one. Such is the case in good fiction – the predictability factor. If the Yin and Yang switch back and forth erratically, we are at first confused. We rub our heads gently, watching the dandruff fly off in the breeze, and then we lower our noses back into our books and gobble up more clues. We stroke the darkness, hoping to see tiny sparks, flares even of the evil seed of doom just waiting for that moment to unfurl themselves into a bonfire of malevolence.

Evil vs. good. Who will win this time? When will it happen? How and with what penalty? At whose expense. These are the plots.

But, the truth is that we must have Mr. Evil. We must Yin and Yang to the very end, for such is the nature of the story, the novel, and true, deliciously agonizing suspense . . .


I have discovered that I am fascinated by surveys. I love to see their results. I love to view your opinions and feedback. Today’s survey is about EVIL.

 The Battle Between Good vs. Evil  (ASR)
This is a poll for May's FANTASY NEWSLETTER.
#1561151 by Shaara




P.S. All comments not only encouraged but greeted with gps.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





This month’s featured:






***********************************************************





This is an evil cat for the FANTASY NEWSLETTER.



Yes, evil does dwell among
the stories here at Writing.com!




 The Quiet Roads  (ASR)
I'm fascinated by fairy stories so i tried to write one...
#1548106 by free.your.mind



“But—I don’t understand—,” Fear constricted her chest. “Why—why do you need to dance, or fight, or whatever you call it?”

“To keep the balance in our wood. To keep the forest alive.”

“And the bright fey disturb the balance?”

“Er, no, that’s the funny thing...bit ironic, but actually it’s you humans who’re destroying all the quiet places left in these days; chopping down the forests and replacing them with your streets and houses and malls...”


”In this story, the villain is us humans! How true, how true!



 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1539714 by Not Available.


“She had met him a few weeks before, and had fallen in love. They had shared wonderful times together, and he had given her the beautiful golden armlets that now pressed coldly against her skin. But he had betrayed her. He had accused her of witchcraft, and had personally turned her in to the authorities.”



EVIL can even pretend that he loves you. We have seen that in movies and books (and sadly sometimes in person.)




 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1533615 by Not Available.


“The trouble started at the pub, where trouble brews as the brews vanish.” <-- Such a cute play with words!


This story pegs a vampire as the villain, but I feel the rising of a new EVIL, the victim who’s so cute that we feel sorry for him and then gladly offer up our wrist for a couple of gentle sips.”



 Cat  (13+)
Cy saved a magnificent wildcat, and it repaid him. But how?
#1343400 by revdbob


“In the morning, I was awakened by a rough tongue on my face which was nose to nose with the cat. Its eyes were open and clear and bored into my own as I opened them. I could not tear my eyes away. It seemed to be holding them by sheer force of its own will, boring into my mind, indeed into the soul I had never before been sure I had.”


Oh, my, this is a spooky tale. Evil is powerful indeed – even if it’s found inside the mind of a cat.



BOOK
Flash Fiction Horror for Black Harvest  (18+)
These short stories were written for the Black Harvest Flash Fiction Horror Contest.
#752727 by Shaara


That's the entry for a book of my short stories. The folder calls them tales of horror, but I failed miserably at writing horror. All my stories in that folder are actually just fantasy or science fiction. However, they do all clearly show EVIL -- even if I’m more or less laughing at my Big, Bad Meanies.



Well, I hope you enjoyed my selections for this week.

I'll be steadily reading through the stories at

Writing.com this month so I can bring you

some more delicious tales.





***********************************************************





***********************************************************


I love getting to choose stories and poems for the FANTASY NEWSLETTER. If you have something you’d like me to consider, please e-mail me or submit it at the bottom. (If you e-mail me, though, please mention the FANTASY NEWSLETTER so I know that you want me to consider your piece for the newsletter.)

*Note1*I love to hear comments on my newsletter too!

(Hint! Hint!)



***********************************************************



A poem about an alien who comes in and steals socks.



And now for the comments, you've

all been waiting for:




bazilbob

Thanks for a great newsletter - I've got a strong urge to write a vampire story and indulge in some dark fantasies! Where was I? Ah yes, I did have a point, I think the reason I find vampires sexy is the danger mingled with the sophistication - he acts all suave but you know he's just a beast inside. I also wanted to recommend the film, Let the Right One In mentioning it in relation to this newsletter does give away some plot but I knew about that before I saw it and it didn't ruin it for me. Probably the best vampire related film I've ever seen. It's such a fresh approach. And everything is done so well - the camera work, the acting, the writing, it's all cinema at its best. Watch it. Thanks again, Louise.

Thank you, thank you! I shall have to see that movie. I appreciate the recommendation!


alison Thank you so much for featuring my story...I'm so happy! And I love your passage on vampires!
Lots of love and bites ali x x

Love and bites? Oh, dear, I'm going to be hiding for a few months now. I may like to write about vampires, but I really, really don't want to run into one up close and personal!

gregor I love vampires because of their tragic nature. They live forever, stay eternally young (depending on the age they were converted), and live in the busy, sexy world of the night. Yet they have to feed on human blood to survive, have to stand by while the people they grow to trust and love die, and can never bathe in the warmth of the sun. Personally, I think the true allure of a vampire is the idea that you can make him forget his pain, if even for only a short while. Excellent newsletter!

What interesting comments. I can relate to wanting to help him forget his pain. I just don't want him to cause me any!

Futrboy
I liked this month's poll question about the allure of vampires and werewolves. To find the answer, one need simply look at history. Women have always fantasized about strong men who defied authority and society's limitations. To their horror, they've also subconsciously dismissed all the bad traits of said strong men -- like being controlling, cruel and callous.

Women have swooned for the real Robin Hood, for sexy (and sadistic) pirates such as Bluebeard, outlaws like Jesse James and sociopaths like John Dillinger, Clyde Barrow and Charles Manson. Those bad boys are everything parents hate. Thus, in literary terms, women now faint for sexy vampires like those in "Twilight" or anything by Laurell K. Hamilton or L.A. Banks.

But, I wonder if those writers or readers will ever look at the dark side of such liaisons. They have disturbing parallels to the real word with abusive men and domestic violence.

(Concerning the poll) Excellent question. Maybe this can explain why young women are snatching up "Twilight," "Vampire Academy" and all those other young adult books about romantic liaisons with vampires, werewolves and demons.

Great comments! There is a lot to think about in your words. Should we be addressing such concerns with our daughters, I wonder?

Arwen9 (concerning poll) I like the poll, but I didn't vote. My reason for liking them isn't up there. To me, what makes them (vampires) enticing is more along the lines of dangerous. Here's this handsome guy who seems to be all right, intelligent, lives forever..etc, but there's this inner "predator" just lurking below the surface. Like swimming with sharks, but without the cage. Will it pass you by? Will it take a bite? That give-and-take of lurking suspense is what catches my attention.

I found this remark fascinating, especially after the one above it. However, just for Arwen9 and others who might share the same feelings, I added her response to the poll.

Ariella Honestly, I hadn't noticed the big appeal of vampires until Stephenie Meyer came out with her Twilight series. Suddenly every girl around age 13 wanted Edward Cullen to sneak into her bedroom and watch her dream. Meyer's vampires (well, the good ones) are different--they don't drink human blood, they don't have real fangs (just venom), they have special powers like mind reading--and somehow that appeals to girls. Honestly Stephenie Meyer's books remind me of the gothic novels of the 1900s. Edward is rather like Mr. Rochester or one of those other Byronic heroes, and Bella is like Jane Eyre. She's innocent and needs to be protected, but Edward struggles with his feelings for her because he knows he's dangerous. True, Mr. Rochester wasn't a vampire, but it's the same mysterious, dangerous man appeal that gets girls every time.


Intriguing comments. Like Mr. Rochester. Wow! I gotta see that movie! I do understand the reason why young girls want to mind read. I'd love to be able to do the Vulcan mind meld, too. Sigh.(Maybe that's why I'm still in love with idea of Spock, but that's a whole different subject . . .


marshalockom Great newsletter! Vampires are captivating and I was captivated by your analysis of their timeless allure.

Thanks so much. That really makes my day. We authors can write for years on a comment like that!



Please don't forget to send me your comments.

I REALLY, REALLY want to hear your input!







***********************************************************


© Copyright 2009 Shaara (UN: shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/650164-May-2009-Good-vs-Evil