*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/651036-Chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mythology · #1546673
A secret Society, Stonehenge, & a very special ceremony. Bk item for 14-7-1 Contest Rd. 2.
#651036 added October 26, 2011 at 3:57pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
Chapter Three


Clive stood at the entrance to the Grasmere House car park, as he'd been instructed by telephone less than an hour previously.  While he waited, he watched the passing cars and tried not to fidget in his excitement.  The caller had introduced himself as Geoffrey, Head of The Ancient Society of the Henge and Clive's sponsor for the Stonehenge visit, and that it was time for them to meet and discuss some specifics concerning the upcoming event.  To that end, a car would be sent round to pick him up at four that afternoon and bring him to Geoffrey's hotel.  At precisely four o'clock, a dark blue Ford sedan pulled into the car park and stopped next to Clive.  He climbed into the passenger seat, as requested by the driver, and the car promptly drove off.  They arrived less than twenty minutes later.  The sedan's other passenger, who had said not a word the entire journey, escorted Clive to the room, then took up a standing position just beside one of the overstuffed chairs set opposite each other in the suite's sitting room.  Clive shook hands with the distinguished looking gentleman, then took a seat in the other chair.

"I'm very glad to finally meet you, Mr. Marsden," Geoffrey began.  "My name is Geoffrey Pence.  Allow me to tell you a bit about our group, and how you came to be selected for participation in tomorrow night's ceremony.  TASH is a secret Society with a particular and intense interest in ancient British history and myth.  Over the years, we have collected every scrap of information available about Stonehenge, and have commissioned studies into some of the more esoteric disciplines, with a heavy concentration on the Arthurian Legend.  Some of the finest minds available have studied this data and are now in complete agreement on the following point: Namely, that on the night of this year's Winter Solstice, natural and paranormal energies and forces will combine to open a portal to the past, the past occupied by King Arthur and his Court, and we intend to send a traveller through the portal!"

Clive was dumbfounded by the man's outrageous pronouncement and then, for a moment, was in danger of laughing in his face.  It was apparent, though, that Geoffrey was quite serious.  Geoffrey continued.

"For reasons I am not at liberty to discuss, we cannot send any members of our Society through the portal, so a search was initiated for a suitable candidate.  Your name is at the top of a very short list."  He took a slim folder from a small table and opened it.

"Our research shows you're a member of at least six online groups and so-called fraternal societies concerned with mythology and British folklore, and that you have participated in no less than four medieval battle re-enactments.  Is this information correct?"

Clive was momentarily stunned by the revelations, then stung to anger by this casual announcement of several blatant invasions of privacy.  "How dare you pry into my private affairs?  What gives you the right to..."

He broke off as the silent man took one step forward, punched him none too gently in the center of his forehead, then resumed his stance next to Pence.

"That's Cedric's way of informing you, you've just used your one allotment of disrespectful behavior.  From this point on, any such displays will have increasingly painful repercussions.  Well, now you know why you were selected.  Do you agree to continue?  Before you answer, let me give you some useful information.  Cedric is our Head of Security.  At the moment, one of his primary duties is to keep you safe and secure until tomorrow night.  Make no mistake, though.  Cedric's ultimate duty is to TASH, and he will take whatever steps are necessary to protect us and keep us safe.  If you decline, or if you attempt to inform anyone of what you've just heard, Cedric will take steps to keep the Society's goals completely secret.  We'll give you a few minutes to consider all this; it is, after all, quite a lot to digest."

***

Melvin Hough was on his way home to Amesbury from a friend's house in Shrewton when he saw the utilities truck directly opposite Stonehenge.  Melvin worked in Wiltshire Council's Transportation and Development Group, and he was somewhat puzzled by the repair crew.  The Highways Agency would have sent a report about the planned repairs, but he couldn't recall receiving any report, and there was nothing on his status board to indicate any planned repairs.  He decided to give it another day or two; if nothing arrived by Monday's mail, he'd give them a call.

***

Chapter 3 word count = 782
Running total word count = 2167
© Copyright 2011 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/651036-Chapter-3