*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/667234-The-Truth-About-Favres-Injury-in-08
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#667234 added September 10, 2009 at 3:17pm
Restrictions: None
The Truth About Favre's Injury in '08?
So now the truth is out?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/10/jets-gm-admits-he-shouldve-liste...

Yes, he was hurt and he took the blame for the Jets inability to make the post season. Anyone going to give Brett Favre credit for playing through the pain and giving his team a chance at going to the playoffs? I think Mangini erred in how Favre was used. He should have been mostly a decoy, but they tried to get him to throw the ball deep in situations where they should have trusted their short yardage game.

I think Favre should get a pass on the 2008 season. He did his job, did what was asked of him. You know a competitor like him is going to play if the GM and coach want him in the game. This says a lot about how they feel about Kellen Clemens and about how much the entrusted Favre to lead this franchise last year. It's not like he let them down. The whole team went into the tank. Mangini recently said that it was not one guy and took the brunt of the blame for last year. And now the Jets GM is falling on that sword.

You can say Favre threw the Jets under the bus on this issue. But he was telling the truth. He wasn't trying to deceive anyone about what happened in New York or about how it felt to be there. He's attacked by the media and fans for not bending over and kissing a bunch of ass for the opportunity he had. What did it get him but deemed a 'scapegoat' for these past nine or so months. He held up his end of the bargain and the GM and former coach both had his back in the media and what are critics at profootballtalk.com and other places going to say? Are they still going to blame Favre as some co-conspirator?

You saw how much control Favre had over his destiny at the end of his days in Green bay. None. He was forced to retire. It's obvious now. Someone who has competed and been such a legend has been forced to take his lumps, for what? For just being honest and stating how he feels about the game and how he's undecided about playing. He's not your villain. They've spun it to make him look bad. He's not perfect either, but that's what makes him special. He will stumble into the truth, leave it out there with no regrets. Though, I sense he's hurt a bit by the way many have turned on him.

I'd say at the end of the day, many will look back in shame for their feelings. The haters will always be there. You cannot justify the treatment he has received in the media or by his former team in Green Bay any longer. It's clearer to me now that he's the fatted calf the Packers slayed so Ted Thompson could continue his mission to rebuild his team with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. He had to take Favre down to deflect criticism and to keep a once proud franchise from becoming divisive.

How does this all affect me? Why so passionate? I don't feel sorry for millionaires. I do hate what they do to sully good names and take away a fan's appreciation of the game. They brand and market these supposed role models and then force them into obscurity when they're done using each commodity. As a fan, I feel manipulated and used by those whose main goal is to profit. Favre was just a player who was played. At least New York, an organization that owed very little to Favre, stood up for him. What does that say about Green Bay?



© Copyright 2009 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/667234-The-Truth-About-Favres-Injury-in-08