*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/667887-This-slope-of-land
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#667887 added September 15, 2009 at 8:55pm
Restrictions: None
This slope of land
"Somewhere folks were celebrating freedom from the yoke of overlords. Somewhere the wheels of the world were whirring. In their new found joy, the seasons turned, turned, turned." KE

Today that celebration would be in Costa Rica: Juan Santamaría Day. Independence from Spain didn't mean totally free of course. They were still part of Guatemala. But, better a local yoke than a distant one. Costa Rica was a back-water of farmers, farmers with oxen carts and more farmers. After fending off an invasion or two, after the diminishing power of United Fruit, they built a safe, stable and reasonably happy place... only to face an ugly future: becoming owned by tourists. Ah... those tourists...

"And somewhere that yoke was being placed around their necks again, the wagons loaded until they could bear no more. Thus the wheels of this world churned, still grinding stone to dust."



I got some of the pictures I took in Costa Rica in July downloaded to my computer and a few are now here. Maybe I'll get more on-line before I return there on Sunday. *Shock*

The above is looking across the Plaza de Cultura. The Museum of Gold is beneath the pigeons. This is smack downtown in San José. The capital city is not pretty, but it's quite vibrant and interesting.

This slope of land

On the street where we live
now 200 years
what remains if not the slope of land,
a grove of trees,
and how long these...
before the cut, the fallen trunks;
the land will grieve
when it receives our bones as well.

And 200 years beyond that grateful day
on this street
where we'll still live
what will remain
if not this slope of land.

© Kåre Enga [166.199] 2009-09-11

Inspired by Filken's reading at Shakespeare & Co.

ME?

Just spoke to Ingrid who was showing pictures of Norway to a friend. Her family hails from the Hardanger region. We got to chat about gjetost. *Smile* Her grandmother ran an authentic Norwegian restaurant in Dillon, Montana for years. *Delight*

I also saw an old friend, Ella Bella, earlier on Pine Street. She was as friendly as I remember her. I first met her tortie-shell-siamese sweetness in November, 2007 when I visited Missoula. She was living on West 3rd back then...

I'm at Butterfly Herbs recuperating from one of the diva-of-the-milkshake's concoctions. I got an almond joy (chocolate ice cream with coconut and almond); Mikki (of the band Fag Rag) got it right again! (she always does *Wink*)

Barber's "Agnus Dei" (adagio for strings) is extremely moving and can evoke deep sadness like few pieces ever written. This recording was made on September 15th 8 years ago, 4 days after the Twin Towers fell in New York City. I suggest caution if you are a very sensitive person (it includes clips from that day). The music alone brings tears. (it may not show up except when you go to leave a comment; embedding has been "interesting" here at WdC *Rolleyes*)



Montana: 84° and pleasant in Missoula at 5 p.m.
17,801

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/667887-This-slope-of-land