*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/671305-Scent-of-leather
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#671305 added October 11, 2009 at 1:52pm
Restrictions: None
Scent of leather
"Seven is an hour of the day, not a temperature." Emily

It caught us unaware. The green leaves of the maples did not warn us. The roses bloomed as if the summer might never end. The river flowed right by us, reflecting nothing but a warm-breath sweep of sky. We were surprised. We shouldn't have been. For the seasons follow much like hours. And death is seldom naught but sudden.

"Everything cycles. And we are part of the cycle too." KE

Another classic, "Solo le pido a Diós" from Mercedes Sosa:



Scent of leather

         for Jamie

And I lit the wick,
a small blue-flame in a pool of wax,
brown melt,
the smell of leather;
a small yet noticed death
to bring me light
and comfort from the weather.

My wit was licked
at the end of the hour:
too many minutes seemingly wasted,
too few honored,
like a flame snuffed out.

Against the starlit empty sky,
I inhaled the lingering smell of leather
and praised this small flamed warmth
fending off the wintry weather.

© Kåre Enga [166.225] 2009-10-10

Sketching it out *Flower4*:

Jamie gifted me a leather scented candle. I promised a poem. *Smile* So when I got back one decided to birth itself.

Thou *Flower1*:

Read a couple new-to-me blogs and still s.l.o.w.l.y catching up on all-y'all who're older-than-dirt. *Laugh* Since Blogville is a village where folks move in and move out... or just plain stay at home with the drapes drawn *Rolleyes*, it becomes necessary to visit new writers and seek new readers and move on.

Me and Mine *Flower5*:

There was a parade Saturday morning (believe it or not); I took some photos from inside and then went to market (it was canceled) and bought 3 apples and 3 sweet peppers from the one vendor who showed up.

I did mosey over to the football game. It was sunny but cold!

U Montana defeated Cal Poly 35-23. I arrived for the second half of the game and watched from outside the fence. U Kansas barely defeated Iowa State 41-36. Two hard fought wins in one day. *Smile*

After the game I went to the UC and spoke to friends and acquaintances. Emily said "Seven is an hour of the day not a temperature" in reference to the cold. Jamie, bless her, gave me a leather-scented candle. *Delight* I was inside sitting in the sun as I wrote this.

Today, Sunday, dawned dreary.

But...

I have calendula and geranium blooming in my two windows. I have a pot of chicken cooking. And a leather-scented candle lit. *Delight*

Montana *Leaf3*: 17º in Missoula at 10 a.m.
50,977 views

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/671305-Scent-of-leather