*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/681442-To-Those-Who-Passed
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#681442 added December 31, 2009 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
To Those Who Passed
To those who have passed - you will always be in our hearts.

I've lost many this year. Some were acquaintances that made such a vast impression, the know they are gone strikes a pain to the chest. Others were loved ones that were connected by bond and blood. And others still who were always in the background until their journeys came to an end. Each one is heartfelt. Each one was some unforgettable.

My mom got a call from my Aunt D the other day. They've been friends since birth. Literally. Growing up next-door neighbors in a small Michigan town, they did everything together, including have infant pictures taken together. Through everything, not matter how much time has passed, they come together to see each other through the hard times.

The look on my mom's face when she got the call went through the motions of happiness, laughter, and despair. You see Aunt D is not only my mom's probably best friend in the world but they're also godsisters making her family. That's just how it works with us. And my Aunt D lost her brother about two weeks ago to cancer. My mom remembers growing up with them. He went fast and the arrangements were spur of the moment. Cancer has traveled from his lungs to his brain after a six month remission. He went peacefully however, which is something my mom and Aunt D were most thankful for. 

The phone call lasted about four hours straight. They caught up and mourned together a man who had struggled through life and addiction before coming back around to be the best man he could. He built things with his hands and smiled whenever he could. And when everyone found out that Aunt D's dad was in the hospital, he flew home to take care of the house and his dad before he too became too ill to look over things.

The sad part about everything is that their father passed away yesterday after a long battle with emphysema. Two weeks after his son had passed. When my Aunt D called again so soon my mom knew what had happened. The plans for his funeral were quick, and my mom was unable to head back home to see him rest. However, in true Celt fashion, the family is dealing with the death with a deep sense of gallows' humor. They laughed and joked while the tears poured down their cheeks. Its how we deal with the loss of someone. We make light of the situation so the pain doesn't consume us.

After the call we said a prayer for those who passed. I know while I'm away my mom will most likely go to mass. There are some things too ingrained to let go. I'll probably stop by St. Mary's while I'm in town as well. I'm not fully Catholic, but my soul I know can rest there hoping that these much-loved people are in a better place.

I can't help but think of all who have gone before. Even here on WDC we've lost so many of our dear members. It brings to mind how fragile life can be, and how much we can bond over shared interests. They easily become family, and to lose family is to lose a piece of ourselves.

Rest In Peace, dear friends.

© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/681442-To-Those-Who-Passed