*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694819-Favres-Ankle-Will-Not-Deter-another-Comeback
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#694819 added April 30, 2010 at 11:59pm
Restrictions: None
Favre's Ankle Will Not Deter (another) Comeback
It's obvious Brett Favre will not be deterred by an ankle injury suffered in last year's conference championship against the Saints. The unknown extent of the injury and required surgery reported by ESPN's Ed Werder was fodder for debate much of the day. Would Favre retire for good? Thankfully the old QB offered more today to clear the air...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/favre-says-ankle-surgery-would-b...

So it if's a minor surgery, why did the story come out in such a way that we all thought Favre was weighing his options for retirement versus a simple medical procedure to relieve him of pain? It's a valid question to ponder, 'does Favre feel he needs an excuse to not appear at training camps?' His head coach, teammates and many fans have already given him a pass, willing to concede he does alright flying by the seat of his pants.

The timing of the surgery and just revealing now that he needs it seems similar to the biceps tendon surgery scenario of last year. We find out with a few months before the season that he hadn't made up his mind to retire or have the surgery before he does and then rehabs alone before deciding he was good enough to play. Does he need to do this again over a gimpy ankle? What does Favre really need from the Vikings and fans at this point to help him commit to simply saying, 'yes, I'll play'?

You'd have to conclude he's prepared to make another go at it in 2010. He's just milking the clock so he can show up late with a doctor's note explaining his tardiness. He may be so used to make these excuses for wanting to skip training camps that he doesn't know how to behave when coach Brad Childress says take all the time you want.

Perhaps, his behavior is pathological from years of pressure in Green Bay to make up his mind. You have to wonder if the Packers pressured him unnecessarily and pushed away any hopes of making a few more Super Bowl runs. There's more to debate there, but save for another day.

© Copyright 2010 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694819-Favres-Ankle-Will-Not-Deter-another-Comeback