*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698452-Thoughts-on-Monday-June-07-2010
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#698452 added June 7, 2010 at 1:22pm
Restrictions: None
Thoughts on Monday, June 07, 2010
Word count: 535

Introduction


I look at the blank page and speculate on a topic. This morning I could write about anything or nothing at all. I have to write though so I suppose just beginning the process is a good start.

Blackwell, Oklahoma, my hometown


My brother sent me a link to a couple of articles about Blackwell, Oklahoma. One of them concerned the Zinc smelter that used to be there. The smelter is no long in Blackwell, but it is still having an effect on the town. I suppose we should expect that since there was no attempt at preventing pollution from zinc refining process when the Smelter operated.

I read the article and then wrote a poem about Blackwell, Oklahoma, my hometown. I wrote a list poem in blank verse. I will post the poem to my port either today. I need to explore the topic of Blackwell and the Zinc smelter a little deeper.

Hitting a brick wall & counting syllables


I have hit a brick wall again, which may be a good idea for a blank verse poem. When I write a poem where I have to count syllable, I count the syllables on my fingers. In the first grade school math class, I took the teacher said never to count on our fingers. The teacher wanted us to use paper and pencil to figure out the answer or do the calculations in our heads.

I never was good at doing calculations in my head. I could add and subtract small sums in my head, but multiplication and division were difficult. My first grade math teacher would be upset that I use a calculator to do math.

I went to Grade School and Junior High School (middle school) in Blackwell, Oklahoma. I have both good and bad memories of Blackwell and going to school there. Blackwell was an interesting town, all though at the time I live there I did not think it was interesting. Perhaps I should plan a trip back to Blackwell; it would be nice to see the town again.

Grandma and Grandpa Newland, my mother’s parents, lie buried in Blackwell cemetery. It would be nice to see their graves and put roses on the graves. Grandma was always one to put flowers on graves.

A lot to do today


I have a lot to do today, I may not get everything accomplished that I want, but I will get everything I need to do accomplished. I started to clean the toilet and I suspect that is going to be more involved then originally intended. I will do what I can with that today and then keep at it until the stool looks the way I want it to look.

Mom does not do anything around the house any more, so I have to do everything. I can understand her slowing down and the only things I really want Mom to do is wash dishes and clean cat litter. Mom always enjoyed washing dishes. Mom always enjoyed cleaning cat litter. Mom enjoys the cat, so that may have something to do with why she enjoys cleaning cat litter. I enjoy the cat, but I do not enjoy cleaning cat litter.





© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698452-Thoughts-on-Monday-June-07-2010