*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699669-The-Best-thing-to-do-is-just-write
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#699669 added June 19, 2010 at 10:22pm
Restrictions: None
The Best thing to do is just write
Word count: 534

Sometimes the best thing to do is just sit down and start writing. Don’t think about what you are writing, just write. If you type one letter after another, you have written a word. Next type one word after another, you have written a sentence or a phrase. It doesn’t have to make any sense at this point because you are going to rewrite anyway.

Don’t worry about rewriting because all you want to do right now is get the idea on paper or in a document. If you use a word processer then it will catch the glaring spelling errors. Just make sure you spell your words phonically so that the spell checker can give you a choice of possible words. If the words are in the checker then you can decide which one you want.

Don’t worry about the spell checker finding the word you want. If the word isn’t in the wordprocessors dictionary, you can deal with that issue later. Just write. Just get your ideas down in black and white or red and green or any of your favorite colors. Just write and write and write.

The process of just writing what ever comes to mind is free writing. You can write without a theme or you can use a theme; it doesn’t matter because all you are attempting to do is get the idea down on paper. Just get the words out of your mind and onto the page.

A free write can be timed or untimed. Timed free write are best because you have a limited period to get your thoughts down on the page. Decide to write for five, ten, fifteen, or twenty minutes. Then when the time is up, you save your work, get up out of the chair and do something else. After you have finished a free write, do something that has absolutely nothing to do with writing or with the subject of your free write.

This though just came to mind. When you are in the middle of a free write be sure to save your work at random intervals. Fate has a sense of humor and if you don’t save your work periodically then the electricity could go off. You cat could run past the outlet the computer is plugged into and pull the plug. Anything could happen if you don’t save your free write at random interval. To save your free write, simply do a control S to save your document.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to just sit down and write. Write about your first memory. Write about the neighbors cat that carried baby skunks home with the mother skunk following right behind. Write about the neighbor’s Border collie that had the reputation as a cat killer, but would play with your Grandmother’s Siamese cat without harming him.

Write about the time your brothers threw a dead snake into the living room. Write about the time your brothers sit the neighbor’s yard on fire. Write about anything and everything. Write every thought that comes into your head. It doesn’t matter what you write about because this is a free write and you are going to rewrite late anyway.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699669-The-Best-thing-to-do-is-just-write