*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701284-offal
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1211684
My blog--I pull a card--if it doesn't speak to me...perhaps it is for you?
#701284 added July 11, 2010 at 11:10am
Restrictions: None
offal
I recently read Julie Powell's new book Cleaving. She is the author of the blog/novel/movie Julie and Julia. In her new book she details her new obsession which is learning to be a butcher.
She is brutally honest. also, about her extra-marital affairs, her drinking, and her marriage. I admire that honesty, her grit, and particularly her love for offal and organ meat.

I know it is not politically correct, but I like offal. I like liver, gizzards, tripe. I enjoy watching Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations gustily devouring brains, intestines, etc. To be truthful, I enjoy just watching Anthony Bourdain.

Recently, due to financial constraints, I have been searching for economical ways to feed my husband and I. Offal, those animal parts often deemed unusable and inedible by the majority of shoppers and consumers tends to be still a cheap way to fill the plate. Offal figures predominantely in many ethnic cuisines. It is "peasant food".
It is also delicious.

My husband David does not share my love for these tasty tidbits,however. I am hoping to convert him. Yesterday at the grocer's a bought a pound of beef heart for $1.19. I have it simmering in the crockpot. I first ate beef heart at my friend Sheila's years ago, when she cooked and stuffed a whole beef heart. It was delicious. Sheila was also a frugal cook, had bought a side of beef, and like all frugalistas was going to use every part. If you are not a vegan, or a vegetarian, you might consider what happens to all those parts that you turn up your nose at.

I'm going to learn how to cook and eat those parts.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1689671 by Not Available.


I hear that beef tongue makes the best taco meat.

I'll keep you informed.

© Copyright 2010 ridinghhood-p.boutilier (UN: ridinghhood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ridinghhood-p.boutilier has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701284-offal