*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701687-Another-Day-in-Paradise
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1684115
A cozy place of my own in the buzzing town of Blogville, the city that truly never sleeps.
#701687 added July 16, 2010 at 10:22pm
Restrictions: None
Another Day in Paradise
This morning my two-hour glucose test was scheduled. I began fasting last night and was up early for my eight o'clock appointment. We went to the hospital, they drew my blood from my left arm, one tube for my medication levels and the other for sugar, and we waited forty-five minutes to see if I was able to drink the revolting glucose syrup allegedly flavored like fruit punch. Finally I choked it down and waited another hour for a second blood test. The phlebotomist was a woman who was slick - slick enough to find a vein in my left arm and successfully drew blood from it, a near impossible feat for previous phlebotomists. We discussed the world's Royal Families, especially Princess Diana and the British monarchy. She, too, is a Diana fan, and we got on the subject because I would not let go of my book - Ever After, Diana and the Life She Led.

I don't know about you, but it's hard for me to like someone who is jabbing me with needles every hour and sucking out my blood, yet I was impressed with this lady. She didn't hurt nearly as much as the others, would not touch my right arm (officially blue, purple and a sick shade of green), and I did like her. That is impressive.

Even more impressive is that I was extremely hungry, extremely exhausted after a thirteen-hour trip to my college campus yesterday, and received a serious of some of the nastiest texts I've ever had, all from a fellow hostess. At first I wasn't bothered by them, because she tends to "hate" people quite frequently due to the fact that something's "not fair" and somehow she's the victim. But as the texts continued, I realized that other people were talking behind my back and fueling this spite. She accused me of "making a big deal about going to church," that I "made a big deal about rather going to church than working," and receiving "special treatment." I can't remember the last time I've been at the end of such spite, jealousy, and flat-out meanness. I didn't realize that I was the epicenter of so much drama and jealousy. To be honest, the fact that I have a shrewd idea of who was behind some of this is what hurts me most of all. If I didn't have my regular friends, especially my BFF who just returned last week from a month-long vacation, I would be pitched in the middle of loneliness. It really, really stung, more than the unsuccessful needles.

My mother and I talked and I will be handing in my "goodbye till Christmas break" note to the general manager tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will be done at the end of the month. I'm putting in my two weeks. Maybe things will be better then; right now, I have so much shopping and packing and visiting with friends and family before leaving... I just need all the days off I can get. I start school early - much earlier than my friends, except for one who is attending American in DC.

Finally I got home around eleven-thirty. I ate a chicken sandwich and stole a few hours to sleep and napped until three-ish. Hopefully I can sleep better tonight. Another busy weekend ahead.

© Copyright 2010 Jackie Laclède (UN: jacqueline at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jackie Laclède has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701687-Another-Day-in-Paradise