*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713138-Panning-Out
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#713138 added December 6, 2010 at 10:58pm
Restrictions: None
Panning Out
Panning Out

One of the statistics I see here at writing.com that I think is the most telling is views.

Sometimes I go back through my port and see which items have gotten the most. It used to be “The Librarian” which I think got around 150 that was the record for a long time and then “The Pageant” blew it away with 250.

Then there is poetry….when I get 75 or more on a poem I think that is pretty good for me. My best is around 114.

I often wonder what it is and can only conclude that if people like something they tell others who read it as well. That makes sense. A lot of others here like reviews and while they are always worth noting and looking at they don’t do a lot for me. I am experimenting with some other formats but the response hasn’t been exactly overwhelming.

Sometimes an event takes place that is totally unexpected….For example last quarter there was a final exam from HSP requiring a piece on the Inqusition….That led to my serial on Tomas de Castillo. That turned into the first Novella I have completed in a first cut….It was a totally unexpected outcome. Now I have to clean it up and expand it with some historical material and character development.

When I write a piece I try and get the characters to talking. I don’t try and descibe them right away…I used to do stage plays with varying degrees of success. It was important to have a character in mind when writing dialogue however you never knew how a casting director was going to see the character…another thing was set design. In a novel that is important in a stage play less so.

Now I am pretty set in my ways so I do the first cut like a stage play and then try and flush it out with setting exposition, story line and character development.

It will be interesting to see in the next couple of months how the stuff I am currently working on is panning out.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713138-Panning-Out