*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713297-A-Different-Kind-of-Christmas-Story
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#713297 added February 20, 2011 at 5:46pm
Restrictions: None
A Different Kind of Christmas Story
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1624523 by Not Available.



I am doing The Annual Advent Adventure because I wanted a closer walk with God this Christmas. A recent assignment was to discuss the implications of the coming Messiah from the Roman and Judean perspectives. I wrote this story. I hope you enjoy.





The centurion was looking over his daily reports. It wasn’t easy to be a member of the 10th legion in Judea under the best of circumstances but these reports made Marcus Antonius sigh. It would be a long night. Still there was one report missing.





“Centurion,” a voice called from the shadows.





“Jubal, I was just thinking of you.”





“Kindly I hope,” replied the Judean as he stepped into the lamplight.





“As kindly as one can for a traitor and spy.”





“Oh sir, you disappoint me.”





“Really, how so?”





“I am not a traitor. I am a business man. The Romans supply ample opportunities for business.”





“Alright business man, what do you have for me?”





“A rumor of the coming Messiah.”





“Now you disappoint me Jubal. Isaac the Zealot has already been sentenced to death for insurrection. Messiahs infest the Judean hills like rats.”





This one is different. A young girl, a virgin claims to be carrying the Messiah…”





The centurion waved his hand to cut Jubal’s recital.





“Sounds like an easy excuse to me,” he said impatiently.





“Ordinarily I would agree with you sir, but this girl is related to Zechariah. He was the priest who was struck dumb in the temple. Now his elderly wife is pregnant. The girl claims to have talked to angels.”





Marcus rubbed his tired eyes. He felt a disquiet in his spirit. It did not matter if he believed in his gods or their one god. What mattered was they did.





“Okay Jubal, you have my attention. Tell me everything about this coming Messiah.”





“Of course sir, but I only have a layman’s understanding…”





Marcus doubted that and said, “I’ll pay you after the information is given not before as already agreed. “





Jubal sighed and continued, “There is a prophecy that says ‘,Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.’ Some believe that he will reign over the house of David meaning he will be military leader. He will free our people from our oppressors and unite the country.”





Marcus frowned at the end the recital.





“If the Messiah is coming as a baby, there are 20-30 years before he is an issue.”





Jubal thought for a moment. He replied “Herod has his own business men. I bet he doesn’t wait that long.”





“Herod is mad. He kills his sons but not his pigs. The question is, is anyone taking her seriously?”





“The High Priest cannot deny something has happened to Zechariah and his wife. With the girl, they are taking a wait and see approach.”





“Makes sense. The girl could be a liar or deluded. Yes, better to wait and see.”





“Yes better to wait and see,’ agreed Jubal. “But if the order of things is going to change maybe I should change too. After all if the Messiah rules, there won’t be any need for Roman spies.”





“Business men,” corrected the centurion. “And if you do your job well, there won’t be any need to fear this Messiah. Here take this.”





“What is it?”





"A note giving Herod the information you just gave me. I think he will find it enlightening, don’t you?” and Marcus smiled sardonically.





Jubal took the note and said,”Yes, I do.”






Lani

© Copyright 2011 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713297-A-Different-Kind-of-Christmas-Story