*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714435-Better-Late-than-Never
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#714435 added December 31, 2010 at 9:51pm
Restrictions: None
Better Late than Never?
What! I didn't write a single word here in the month of December? I can hardly believe it. And here it is, my very last chance of the year. I picked a new "skin", whatever that is. Firefox pushed them too, and I picked one there also. They're so small, such a tiny sliver of the page, that I hardly know what all the to-do is about. And can anyone else see mine when they come to my portfolio or blog? Dunno.

Half an hour yet till Capitol Steps comes on, and I don't want to miss it. I usually forget, but have heard it plugged several times on NPR in the past few days and may actually hear it this year.

It's been a strange December. All the first of the month was busy while I tried to see new patients and pack for our cruise, and attend to Christmas presents at least in a token fashion. By the time we were almost ready to go, I started getting sick and had to see a doctor in San Diego the night before we sailed away. Not handy when you're in a strange city with no car. But lo and behold the hotel concierge sent the hotel doctor, and he was a gem. He came with a suitcase full of meds and gave me a week's worth of antibiotic for diverticulitis and some more pills to soothe the cramping. Several days of clear liquids and I was feeling much better. (I don't suppose I should have counted gin as one of them, but I did.) I guess that's one way to cut the total gain of cruise pounds: just don't eat for the first few days.

The weather was perfect, sunny and warm, temperatures in the low 80's. We didn't get in the ocean, to Bill's disappointment. That was okay with me. I'd rather look at it than get in it. We did take my daughter and the twins (10 yr olds) to swim with the dolphins, but it turned out to be in a big pool, and the water was pretty cold. Fun anyway though.

Oops, I hear Bill showering, now that he woke up from his nap. He must be planning on going to the 11:30 New Year's Eve service at church. I'm always glad I've gone, but never want to go. Tonight my tummy's bothering me again, and I just started a big pot of chicken enchillada soup on the stove. The champagne is in the fridge, a local variety. We grow mostly red wine grapes around here, so that was a surprise. But I imagine that's what he's got on his mind. Having skipped all the Christmas services (except for an impromptu one on the ship) I guess it's time I got back in the groove. I did miss it. It didn't really seem like Christmas at all, but I'm not complaining.

So, I hope to get back here in the new year. May all of you be safe tonight and find many blessings in the year ahead.




© Copyright 2010 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714435-Better-Late-than-Never