*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723531-Obama-vs-Osama
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#723531 added May 5, 2011 at 1:44pm
Restrictions: None
Obama vs. Osama

         I don't like to get too political too often, but I have the following three thoughts on the death of Osama Bin Laden:

         1. No matter how despicable a human being might be, I'm not sure I could celebrate someone's death. Do I think that the world is a better place without him? Absolutely. But I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with people throwing parties to celebrate the occasion.

         2. I'm also not sure how I feel about the idea that the mission was specifically to go in and kill Osama Bin Laden. While I'm sure his death would have been the end result anyway (whether in a firefight or after the courts convicted him of mass murder), the idea that U.S. soldiers invaded a compound with the express purpose of killing somebody makes me wonder why all the rhetoric about "bringing Osama Bin Laden to justice." Why didn't they just say they were trying to find and kill him?

         3. I'm getting sick and tired of Obama dissenters saying, "Obama doesn't deserve credit for this accomplishment." Yes, all due credit should be given to the soldiers who put their lives on the line and actually carried out the mission. But like it or not, Obama is the Commander and Chief, received the intelligence, and authorized the mission. Saying he doesn't deserve credit is like saying that Osama Bin Laden shouldn't be credited for 9/11 because he wasn't flying one of the planes. Or that the coach of a championship-winning sports team shouldn't be recognized for his leading part in the effort, even if he wasn't on the court/field. (Although does that mean President Obama should get a Gatorade dunk? *Laugh*)

         I'm becoming increasingly disgusted with politics lately. The partisanship is reaching epic levels, and it really concerns me to see people in government (who are supposed to be working together for the good of the people) rejecting proposals or suggestions, simply because the person behind it is from a different political party. For some people, it's clear that Obama will never, ever do anything right... and for others, it's clear that he can do no wrong. I don't think either opinion is conducive to the greater good of our country, especially in these times of economic crisis.

         My next blog post will be more upbeat, I promise. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2011 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723531-Obama-vs-Osama