*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725272-Packing-for-the-tropics
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#725272 added June 2, 2011 at 2:47am
Restrictions: None
Packing for the tropics
I'm sure there are special rules for packing depending on which tropical zone you are in. What is culturally acceptable varies greatly. Two things about the tropics though: strong sun and everything bites.

Sun: will kill you. No matter how cold it may be the sun is strong. Colder, higher elevation like on top a volcano? Sun is even stronger ...and more dangerous. Pack: hat, long sleeve top, long pant bottom. Wear mini-skirts, shorts and go topless at your own risk. Pack super-sunscreen or buy on location (remember carry-on restrictions if going by plane). Stay out of direct sun between 11 and 1. Sunglasses may be a good idea around noon.

Bites: cover yourself during the day (netting at night) or be prepared to use heavy duty spray. Pack: long sleeve top, long pant bottom, lotion or buy spray on location.

Rain: during rainy season it may pour not just sprinkle. Pack: umbrella.

Cold: yes, it can get cold. If you stay anywhere but a beach in the warmest season you will get chill. Pack: wind breaker, sweater, jacket (anything that is not bulky, thermasilk if going to places below freezing ...yes there are places in the tropics that cold).

Heat: surprisingly not always a problem... unless you are in dry season... it usually isn't the heat, but the...

Humidity: nothing will dry properly. And if you have problems with heat and humidity consider the mountains or places with a/c. Pack: light weight clothing, light cotton. Leave any non-breathing clothing at home. Forget nylon, etc. Since you might be getting wet, how do you look in a thin white wet T-shirt? Consider light-weight but opaque.

How much? Less is best. Color coordinate so you can mix and match. Unless you need to travel with daily changes for the club, the beach, the business meeting, the opera, the... don't! Decide which clothes can multi-task. You are not trying to impress everyone. If you are you don't need my help.

Underwear: opaque (can do double duty as swim wear) and thin ...easy to dry, easy to pack and not take up space. 3 to 5 should do it regardless of length of stay. Laundry may be expensive, but washing out by hand may not be an option. consider this when you pack. Some may be able to get by on 2 pair. One to wear; one washed out and drying.

Shorts, swimsuits: 1 or 1 each. Know what is considered appropriate. Away from the beach you may not be wearing shorts even. Even if culturally acceptable, the sun and the bugs may convince you.

Socks: thin, easy to roll up and easy to wash and dry. 2-3 pair should do it. Do not assume you can go without. Remember the bugs ...they like feet as well as does the sun! Barefoot is not advisable unless you check with locals. Disease-free does not describe the tropics... which brings up...

Shoes: depends on whether you are hiking, at the beach, downtown for a business meeting. Consider: sandals, all purpose shoes and whatever your special plans are. Shoes can be bulky. You may wish to wear the bulkiest when you travel by plane and pack the others as best you can. Which gets to the issue of

The plane: I wear my coat and bulkiest shoes. Put e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g in my coat pockets so I can take it off, take off my shoes and zip through the security crapola. Pack n.o.t.h.i.n.g that will hold up your trip. Questionable items can be bought at your destination. Like? scissors, bottles of shampoo, steak knifes... Pack personal items where you don't have to dig for them. Have pockets in your pants/shirt for your passport, money, credit/debit/atm cards (consider an atm card). Transfer to your pockets after you've gotten through security when you are in a safe place to do so. Things fall out of pockets... especially when you are in a hurry. Don't be in a hurry.

Tops: whether shirts or blouses, opaque is best, light weight wise (at least one light colored), color coordinated best. Unless you are a walking fashion show, dress comfortably in wash and wear. Leave anything that needs dry-cleaning at home. Consider at least one long-sleeve top regardless of how hot it may be. Evenings may surprise you. And the bugs... Pack 2 to 5... no more.

Bottoms: shorts? minis? sure! IF... it is culturally acceptable. Some places it may be only acceptable on the beach or if worn by a prostitute or a wealthy tourist asking to be robbed... consider this and the bugs... pack at least one longer bottom to wear when out-and-about. Jeans should be considered, but if they are flashy they may bring the wrong type of attention. There may be a market for good jeans... yours...once they are robbed. Pack: 2 or 3. Jeans or pants (even for women) if you are going through jungle or high grass. Choose ones with good deep pockets or pockets that button or zip (don't put anything in back pockets you don't mind being picked...) Consider the snakes and other things that bite (or in Costa Rica, caterpillars that numb when brushed against). Opaque, match tops, lightweight, easy to roll up, wash-and-wear.

Jewelry: leave at home. Bling-bling: leave at home. Expensive watches: leave at home (use your cellphone, learn to ask what time it is or learn to not care, buy a cheap one for travel).

Toilet paper: pack once there!

Towel: yes! but can you pack a non-bulky one...

Emergency kit: not a bad idea. Something for minor bites, bandages, aspirin...

Pockets: so you don't like pockets? Get over it! Buy an inside the clothes money belt or pack. Tops, bottoms, shoes that have pockets or compartments are best. Just don't forget when you wash them...

Purses? leave at home or be prepared to have it grabbed. Shoulder bags are better ...even for men. Learn to carry in a way to reduce it being grabbed or sliced and grabbed.

Colors: color is cultural. Bright is fine in some parts of the Caribbean. Elsewhere, folks may wear white, muted colors, blues... In Costa Rica, young businessmen currently wear solids more than white and other men don't seem to be too flashy. Women? Much more leeway. Many wear clothes that North Americans would find too revealing and too tight. Still, nothing I advertised as "for sale". If you see prostitutes (women or trans) notice what they wear ...and don't.

Cowboy clothes? Punk? Hippy clothes? Italian designer "la moda". I would suggest not. Many folks in tropical countries don't have money to dress in expensive clothes. Most believe in clean and wearable. Being sloppy may be "cute" where you are from, but may not translate well. Youth may have an easier time with fashion. But fashion is local...

Backpacker grunge: if you are backpacking this is expected in hostels but not everywhere else. Don't be hurt if you aren't invited to fancy events. Backpackers can't always keep clothes clean and dry enough. In the tropics everything molds ...quickly. Bearded, sloppy dressers, odd clothed youth may be tolerated, but older folks may look just like bums... this may not be good. If you are at a surfer beach or ex-pat hippy town this may not apply.

Odds and ends: phone numbers, names, notepad, a pencil (pens leak), camera (a point and shoot should do unless you are a professional), batteries, charger, shaver, electrical cords, computer (big? bulky? expensive? leave at home), You can always buy books... but a thin light one is not a bad idea (a Nook or Kindle is wonderful for travel, but can you know where it is at all times or afford to have it stolen?). One cannot put anything down, even for 5 seconds in some places. Costa Rica is one of those places. The trick? Pockets! Travel light! Leave expensive or non-replaceable items at home.

I'll add on to this later. Too late to think! The basic idea is to pack less and only what you yourself can carry. If you've over-stuffed before you leave... how are you going to buy anything you might need there? Better to look at everything and pack less, taking only what is absolutely needed. One backpack or suitcase should suffice most casual travelers and even business people should have no more than a carry-on and a medium suitcase with wheels. If you are merely going to one destination and not traveling around ...your situation may be different.

I do not know anyone to-the-manor-born. Yet, many people travel like they are... don't. Learn to be happier with less.
22,117

© Copyright 2011 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725272-Packing-for-the-tropics