*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734559-Farewell-to-My-Drinking-Buddy
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#734559 added September 20, 2011 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
Farewell to My Drinking Buddy
A friend told me that she wrote a letter to sugar, breaking up with it and it helped her emotionally. She had her own word picture. So if you will indulge me, this is my break up phone call with a drinking buddy

















*RING*





Hey you. I’ve been meaning to talk to you. First I want to say, “Thanks.” You’ve been there for me. Through thick and thin, highs and lows, I could always count on you. I have to admit though it’s not been good between us recently. Hangovers, highs, lows with the occasional splat to bottom, those I could handle. Hell, it’s all I’ve ever known. But this weight I’ve put on recently is all you. It is the ultimate betrayal. You were suppose to comfort me not add to my stress. It’s like I never knew you or rather my eyes are finally opened.





Stay away from me. I will not listen to your acid lies or taste your sweetness.





No, I don’t remember when we met. I do remember my mother complaining that you were cheaper than milk at the corner grocery. Imagine choosing you over milk because pennies mattered for us.





I have to say you helped me through a rough childhood. Middle school taunts bounced off the flab you helped me keep. Your sweetness eased pain, softened memories and dulled responses.





High school *sigh*. No, you didn’t help me loose weight. No, you didn’t. I was working almost full time. There was no time to eat. So it was by default.





College, nursing school and years of night shift. I don’t think I would have survived all of that without you and your friends Mountain Dew and southern Sweet Tea. All night study sessions, finals, working, the 4 a.m. droop just before the big 5 a.m. push for morning care would have been much harder to overcome without you. Thanks.





Then we had our first break-up. Who knew caffeine leached iron? I spent a year in doctor offices.  You and your friends caused an anemia so bad that I had to send you away. This was the first betrayal and I should have learned from it.





You stayed away seven years. How did you sneak back? Oh yeah, ADD. I had a class and couldn’t focus. I felt so out of control until you brought me back to my center. Your cleverness saved the day. And I thought I could handle you. That you would not breach my defenses and get out of hand again but we both know how this ends.





We’ve had many break-ups since then but you always sneak back. Or rather I let you back. I think this is because I had not found an ADD medicine that worked for me. Caffeine works pretty well so I let you stay. This new med I’m on is working so I don’t need that part of you. In fact you’re not playing well with the med. Heart palpations are not fun. It’s time for goodbye.





Your sweetness?





Because of your sweetness, I crawled into your bottle like a drunk on a binge. I wrapped myself in your sticky tastiness, the first half of this year, hoping for relief from the pain of grief. I finally freed myself a few weeks ago. As I look around, I see that my grief is still there to work through and I have 50 extra pounds to shed.





So this is good-bye. I don’t need you. Your comfort is false and costly.





Farewell


      Coca-Cola





*click*





I'm happy to report since my *breakup* I have lost 10 pounds and have not touched a drop of Cocoa-Cola in 40 days. Hi my name is Lani and I am a Coca-Colaholic.











Lani

© Copyright 2011 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734559-Farewell-to-My-Drinking-Buddy