*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/742040-Sunshine-and-showers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#742040 added December 18, 2011 at 2:44pm
Restrictions: None
Sunshine and showers...
...but mostly gloomy.

Me:

1 pm and on and off showers like yesterday which is better than downpours but not as nice as SUMMER that is supposed to be here already. I guess a system came across Colombia and Panama and...

Showers means always taking one's umbrella. (One more thing to lose.)

I came here to escape the gloom; but really, I can't complain. The days are a bit short of 12 hours and the sun is weaker (more like Montana in May) and certain flowers and festivities adorn this time of the year. The poinsettia (pastora) is in bloom as are a type of ageratum (santalucias). The rabo-de-gato is bringing in the hummingbirds (colibrí). Some citrus is in bloom so the air is fragrant.

I posted some pictures I took with my camera: birds, squirrels, plants.

Today I did my wash at 8 am and hung them out on the line. The shirts are almost dry. The heavier cotton of underwear takes time in this humid climate.

The squirrels and birds are quieter today. The yippy dogs are quiet for the moment too. The female chihuahua likes me. Some of the neighborhood dogs don't... yet. My friend Marlene advises me to carry mace. If I get bit I can sue, but who wants to get bit?
I'd rather not throw stones, but I may have to. My one neighbor throws stones when the other neighbor's dog wants to attack me...

Having internet has been nice. I'll be able to watch Alajuela (La Liga) versus Heredia (los rojiamarillos) when they play for the winter championship today. Unless I forget. Heredia last won in 1993 but they almost won last year. The local team, the Guerreros of Pérez Zeledón were mediocre this year.

Now a bit of a breeze. At least it hasn't been stifling hot. San Isidro de PZ is at an elevation of 750 meters and I prefer higher here. Cartago is cooler and nicer for me. As is Santa María de Dota and Zarcero.

I made olla de carne last night. Think of it as a soup or a stew. I'll do better next time. Marlene told me to cook the meat and bones first (maybe add a cube for more broth), then the vegetables (except the yuca which should be last). Still, like a pot of stew or soup I'll be eating it for a couple days.

Time to get ready to go out for awhile, in spite of the rain.
:25,893

© Copyright 2011 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/742040-Sunshine-and-showers