*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746076-This-ones-about-the-conclusion
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#746076 added January 31, 2012 at 11:16pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the conclusion.
THE PROMPT: "Conclusion of the story."

Chet tried to steady himself at his bed. He was going to take a sleeping pill and make one final phone call to his ex-boss to tell him what he really thought of him. For once, he knew exactly what to say and how to say it, and he knew he wouldn't be interrupted at all...it was after midnight, and nobody checks their voicemail until at least 6am. Cowardly? Yes, but he knew little else.

He reached across himself for the nightstand, where his pills were, and loosened the cap as he reached for the phone. As he tried to pop a pill into his mouth while balancing the phone against his ear, he was unaware how close to the edge of the bed he was as he shifted his weight over. A drunk man balancing a pill bottle, his weight and a phone receiver in the dark is not the recipe for a good night's sleep.

Chet felt himself hit the ground, starting to feel tangled up in the long phone cord, but the relaxedness of the pill combined with his intoxication made him want to fight the urge to free himself and sleep on the bed.

Three days later, Depew was feeling a little guilty about their previous encounter. He was also a little curious as to what Chet was up to, since he hadn't really seen him around. But what Depew really wanted to know: was Chet interested in paying for another week's stay? He tried calling a few times throughout the day, but the line was busy, so he figured he'd run over and knock on his door.

He knocked and waited. Knocked, waited. Pounded. Shouted. Waited. Disturbed, he went back to his office to get the master key for all of the rooms. There was Chet, sprawled on the floor, blue from a phone cord wrapped around his neck. Depew kneeled down on one knee, said a short, silent prayer, and went to his office to call the police.

The public will know this to be the second mysterious death involving Brad Depew. The police report will read "accidental suicide". But the few that truly knew Chet Smythe knew one thing about his final, secluded days...he died from a broken heart.

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746076-This-ones-about-the-conclusion