*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747514-This-ones-about-the-recipe
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#747514 added February 20, 2012 at 8:57pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the recipe.
THE PROMPT: "RECIPE FOR A WINTER DAY"

Good evening friends, followers, subscribers, and whatnot. You could be anyplace else, doing more important things, but you're here right now, and I appreciate that. I myself should be doing more important things as well...like taking out the garbage, or taking a shower so I don't have to get up quite as early in the morning, or playing down my tickets in Madden NFL Superstars. But seeing how this is a "challenge", albeit unofficial, I'll take a few minutes out of my day to wrestle with it.

Only, I'm not sure what specifics the judge is looking for. Something good to cook on a wintry day? Or what kind of precipitation and weather trends go into the making of a day between Dec. 21 and Mar. 21? Knowing the way this contest has unfolded over the last few weeks, it probably means something entirely different. Which is ok...I'm probably disqualified from it anyway, even though there's maybe three or four others now currently still participating in it. So I'll do what I do best, and leave it up to myself to figure out the happy medium.

I live in Buffalo, which is world-renowned for its accumulation of snow. However, this year has got to be, in my 36 years of existence, the least wintry of all winters. And you won't hear a complaint outta me...you can keep your snow and cold and slush. I'm a summer baby through and through.

We've had maybe two big snowfalls this year, and it's almost March. Proof of those snowfalls were gone in a day or two, when the temps jumped back up. Last year we didn't make it through December without ridiculous snowfalls that crippled the area. We've been lucky this year.

So this is the best I have to offer to the prompt. The quote under the picture at the top says it all. http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/jimmygriffin19292008.html

MUSICAL BREAK!!

The greatest frontman in the history of Canadian music is doing his thing. Youtube lists it as "Yer Possessed", but that's not it. It's an electrified version of "Who By Rote" followed by "Drowning Machine". Mr. Downie is Canadian music's greatest living treasure...a poet and showman all in his own class. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1CBch_6AU

VITAL STATS:

*Cart* When your co-workers text you on your day off just to tell you a few regulars say hi, you know you've got something special going on. Even if one of those regulars touched you wrong in the past.

*Pencil* Shockingly, some of the posts on the "30-Day Blog Challenge" forum have been removed. This comes as no surprise. We get the vanity project that the challenge has become for the hostess-in-charge. We see how it has went. Many have felt alienated, if not worse. The mere integrity of the challenge itself has been compromised. Idiocity reigns. Luckily, we have other options. But man, this round is damn near the worst thing I've ever been involved with on this site. Check that..it is the worst thing ever.

And with that, I've got time to waste, so I'll leave you all be. I'll be taking cues from the late mayor of our once-great city, minus the snow and football. Well, maybe not the football. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaZnBO-YMg

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747514-This-ones-about-the-recipe