*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751039-What-are-round-and-hard-as-rocks
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#751039 added April 15, 2012 at 10:46pm
Restrictions: None
What are round and hard as rocks?
The spheres of Diquis that I saw in Palmar Sur.

Me:

Went to the Festival of the Spheres with Alberth today.

This meant getting up really early and catching the 06:30 bus. Three hours later (and $4.50 poorer each) we arrived at the coastal/river/transportation hub of Palmar Norte. A small town with a park, a green church and more bars than restaurants.

We both had pintos with an egg and coffee. Don't ask me the cost because Alberth payed before I had the chance to ask.

To get to the festivl we had to walk over the long (looooong) bridge over the Térraba River. We wondered what was floating in the river until a crocodile appeared and grabbed it. Any notion of going for a swim was banished.

And it was huge bad-ass croc!

Once on the other side we just followed the music that lead us into the park. Along the way we took photos of course. Of flowers and an old train engine (2-8-2)

We picked up brochures, looked at trees in flower (varieties we don't have at home), tried to stay out of the sun, drank more coffee, horchata, grape Fanta soda-pop. I sat down often.

Talked to a young woman about mono-cultures and water-for-tourists issues. Not everyone in Costa Rica is willing to allow rich-folk to have their way!

Anyway, nice day.

By-the-way, the spheres are near perfect and are over 500 years old. Some are 2 meters in diameter and they still don't know what technology the indigenous peoples knew to make them.

There are thousands. *Shock*
29.018


© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751039-What-are-round-and-hard-as-rocks