*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754125-This-ones-about-the-concentration
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#754125 added June 4, 2012 at 4:32pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the concentration.
THE PROMPT: "Mind Over Matter. Earl can't concentrate when it's too hot. What effects your concentration? Got any concentration tips?"

Good afternoon everybody! If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Prompt complete! Just kidding. *Wink*

Our man Earl can't concentrate when it's too hot. That's understandable. I have trouble concentrating under certain circumstances too. Like when I'm too full...all that consumes me is all the food I've consumed. Or when I'm talking on the phone, I can't have music playing. Or when I'm writing and I start to get into that writing zone...Hell knows no fury like the one designed for when I get interrupted in thought.

There's some kind of unwritten house rule that states I need to be completely left alone when writing. It's an absolute must. Break my concentration, and I may break you. Just kidding. Well, sorta.

It's all in the mindset. It really is "mind over matter". You have to let the competitive forces in your mind reign over what you really wish to accomplish to be able to set yourself apart from needy distractions. It's the will to not let things get in the way. It's being able to commit fully enough to see something through to conclusion, circumstances be damned. It may require a certain amount of tunnel vision. If you're a miner, you're prepared...if you're a minor, you have it only for what you want, and screw the big picture. *Smirk*

Here's a little story from my youth I'd like to share. When I was a kid, I had boy scout summer camp to look forward to. I'd sell candy bars and whatever else the troop would let me peddle, just so my poor ass could get away from the family for a week, sometimes two. I spent all year looking forward to nothing but fun outdoor activites with my friends over that given time. It was all I knew. Nowadays, kids have way more options. Band camp, computer camp, horeseback riding camp, lacrosse camp, fat camp...you name it, and there's a camp designed for that specialist hobby. Maybe there should be some kind of Concentration Camp, where you sit out in the woods and have seminars designed to help you maintain your focus during times of duress, stress, or other likely distractions. Hold up...

My sources have just informed me that these camps once existed. Only under different circumstances, and in poorer taste. Damn, another good idea ruined by the dregs of history and shit. Oh well. Someday, I'll have an idea that gets me rich, or...oooohh! Shiny red ball! Time to play in traffic!

MUSICAL BREAK!!

You might know him as the guy that plays an investigator on one of them crime shows they play on the tv. I know him as the guy that rapped these verses over this beat, and it was the only song in my head when I read the prompt.



Only now have I realized the correlation and influence between this song and my writing style. Impressive.

VITAL STATS:

*No* I've done nothing today, and that's how I like it.

And now I'm gonna go enjoy some alone time in the empty house, and maybe take a nap. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754125-This-ones-about-the-concentration