*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754511-Royal-Flush
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#754511 added June 10, 2012 at 6:44pm
Restrictions: None
Royal Flush
I think it's obvious I'm no Royalist. I'm a simple soul at heart and wish we could all be born equal with the same opportunities and advantages in life. The Royals are just people as far as I'm concerned, with the same bodily functions as the rest of us. As my maternal grandma used to say - they all make a smell when they go to the toilet.

My Mum was a very patriotic woman who forever praised the benefits of living in England and our Royal family. Maybe it was the fact she didn't fully acknowledge half of my heritage belonged to the USA that made me dig my heels in and refuse to be a proud Brit. I have always felt deprived in some way that my American roots were taken away from me without choice and I was left wondering how life would have panned out if we'd stayed in the States. But it was not to be.

I remember standing at the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas on our first trip to the USA. It was the first time I'd heard the song 'God Bless the USA,' and must confess it brought a tear to my eye and a certain sense of pride that my father originated from this country and it was where I was born. It's rare I ever feel that way about England. Sorry mother, but I hope wherever you are you'll understand. So powerful was the effect of that song we chose to play it at my Dad's funeral. But I digress.

This week has seen many celebrations of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. I'll confess I've scoffed, been sarcastic and cynical and didn't feel I wanted any part of it. Impossible to ignore it of course with constant media coverage and television programmes cancelled to cover the occasion. So I expected it would be a time to just grit my teeth, grin and bear it and wait until the Olympics becomes the next big news. *Rolleyes*

Last Sunday evening there was a programme dedicated to the making of the song composed by Gary Barlow and Andrew Lloyd Webber for the Jubilee. I didn't think I'd be interested and questioned if it was acceptable to finance Mr Barlow to travel half way round the world just to produce a bit of music the Queen probably wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in. Even Philip managed to escape into hospital to avoid all the hype. I know, I know I'm a horrible cynic and should be executed at the Tower of London.

But as the programme progressed I found myself intrigued and very moved by the musicians Gary went off the beaten tracks to meet in the most obscure locations. Their talent was obvious and the way he interacted with these people and the enthusiasm he displayed in adding their contributions to the song was most infectious. The finished product may be a simple song, but it's also the work of a sheer genius.

Monday was the concert outside Buckingham Palace on a gloomy, but at least dry evening where thousands gathered to watch the performance. I wouldn't have wanted to be there, but succumbed to watching it on TV seeing as there was little else to choose from. The fact Robbie Williams and Will I Am started off the proceedings and my teenage hero McCartney drew it to a close was bound to impress me. Some of the acts in between were not so entertaining, but the red, white and blue, guards in busbies, brass bands and sea of waving flags in the audience were very touching.

For all its pomp and ceremony, false jollity and media hype, I must confess I've enjoyed these Jubilee celebrations much more than I envisaged. I've sometimes resented the fact the only Monarch in my lifetime is still going, but thinking about it that's hardly likely to happen again so it's an historic time to be living in. Our Lizzie may be just a little old lady with a handbag hanging off her arm as she shuffles along to each of her commitments, but I can't deny a feeling of pride in her achievements, our wonderful musicians and the patriotism of people who can go all out to celebrate in a convivial way despite their many problems and the foul weather.

No, I'll never be a true Brit, but I think I have an inkling of what my mother felt about this funny little island. Excuse me, I must head for the kitchen now to prepare the Earl Grey and cucumber sandwiches.

© Copyright 2012 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754511-Royal-Flush