*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754775-What-is-there-to-write-about-Las-Vegas
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#754775 added June 12, 2012 at 10:01pm
Restrictions: None
What is there to write about Las Vegas?
Tuesday, June 12, 2012, Day 12 ~ 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is "Tell us about the area you live in."


First, I’m writing about Las Vegas, Nevada, and not about Las Vegas, California, or any other city by this name in the United States or any other part of the world. I want to make that clear from the start because Las Vegas, Nevada, is unique.

Supposedly, this is the one city in the world where everyone wants to come and lose their money on the Las Vegas Strip or the Boulder Strip or Downtown or Henderson or North Las Vegas. I could continue for two more paragraphs (at least) about where hotel-casinos are located in the Las Vegas valley (or as one of the meteorologist once called it the Las Vegas Bowl). You see, Las Vegas is surrounded by mountains, so contrary to popular opinion it isn’t a valley, but a bowl.

Cities in the Las Vegas area are Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City. Townships in this area are Paradise, Winchester, West Clark County, Enterprise, and I’m sure there is one more, but I just had a senior moment; maybe it’s Clark Country, but that doesn’t seem to make sense. Anyway, all these cities and townships are in Clark County.

This past weekend the Electric Daisy Carnival brought non-gaming revenue into the city. Then there is the NASCAR race. Both the Electric Daisy Carnival and the NASCAR race occur at the Las Vegas Speedway, but not at the same time. The area also attracts the rodeo and circus. In addition to these, we have homeless people and homeless shelters.

There are also churches, temples, masque, etc. Las Vegas is a multicultural city (true there are people who don’t want to recognize the fact that this is a multicultural city, but it is). People actually do live in Las Vegas and a number of those don’t gamble. I’m not sure what else to say about this beautiful desert city because you have to live in it to believe some of the things that go on here.

I just thought of two more attractions in Las Vegas. We have the Mob Museum and the Neon Museum. Las Vegas means The Wells.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754775-What-is-there-to-write-about-Las-Vegas