*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755175-This-ones-about-words
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#755175 added June 18, 2012 at 10:41pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about words.
THE PROMPT: "Some critics believe that you need a special poetic language when you write a poem, while others say that ordinary language is perfectly all right. Which side are you on?"

What's up y'all? I've got a special message for critics on this one....if you've never read me, you can't say nothin'.

A special language for poetry? Maybe in the 1800's! If you can speak a language, and write it fluently, that's all you need! I didn't know there were rules...maybe there were and they changed...hell, maybe I changed the rules, I don't know. I've written enough poems in my own language that have been reread and loved over and over to know that it's not the words you use, but how you use them.

One perusing of my portfolio will explain that to you.

Traditionalistic language only carries you so far. In order nowadays to stand out and be creative, you've got to basically bastardize the language. You've got to find the unlikeliest of word pairings and make then work. You've got to do the things that separated Poe and Shakespeare from their contemporaries. That's a hard gig in this day and age...everyone's a poet, or everyone's got something to say.

Or, to sum it up otherwise, those who can, do. Those who can't, call themselves critics.

I prefer to write "free verse". It's usually rambling off the top of my head for whenever I'm in the mood to write. And it sounds like it means nothing, but there's probably a motive somewhere. I'll save you the legwork and post some examples...

"California Sinks Farther Into The Ocean

"Hopeful Hopelessness

"Blur The Future

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I've only posted this video hundreds of times, but if the prompt fits...



Wow...if anything wanted to exist in order solely to make me hold a microphone, it'd be that.

VITAL STATS:

*Eat* Facebook will tell you that I made a pretty fantastic meal today.

*Smile* It will also tell you there are more people concerned about what I say than I could've ever imagined, and for that, I'm very thankful.

And so it goes, my friends. Peace and love to you all. A good Tuesday to you when tomorrow breaks. GOODNIGHT NOW!!



Only the greatest frontman/improvisationalist in the history of rock and roll, people. Makes me wanna hook up the Xbox and play Rockband by myself.

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755175-This-ones-about-words