*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755258-This-ones-about-what-Id-have-to-say
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#755258 added June 19, 2012 at 11:44pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about what I'd have to say.
THE PROMPT: "If I could give one piece of advice to any person in history, that advice would be..."

Good evening everyone. Interesting idea today from the War Chest. It always seems like there's no shortage of people out there willing to offer their two cents about anything and everything, warranted or not. Everyone's an expert, ya know? Or they know somebody who did this or that and it worked out, so you should try it.

I'm not really like that, or at least all the time. Sure, if you ask me for advice or an opinion, I'll offer my best guidance. I'm fairly educated enough to know a little about a lot, and generally I usuallly give decent advice...what you do with my nuggets of wisdom, however, is up to the one who wants it.

That said, one thing I can tell you I'm not good at is heeding my own advice. I'm pretty terrible at it, actually. I'll have no problem telling you what's wrong and how to fix it, but I can't even listen to the sense coming from my mouth and apply it to my actions. Which would make me out to be a wonderful counsellor, if I were ever so inclined.

But I'm not. As a college dropout, I'm an example...stay in school, kids, or work near-meaningless jobs in retail, struggling to make ends meet for the rest of your life! *Laugh* I can laugh because it's true.

Now, about this prompt...hmmm...what would I have said and to who? Honestly, the first person besides myself that came to mind was Bill Clinton, the former persident. He had a pretty decent run in office, but it will always be scarred by the Monica Lewinsky scandal. What advice would I have given him? Easy. Don't do it, Bill...look at her! She's ugly as sin! She makes your wife look like a supermodel! Things like this never end well! And in retrospect, I would have been right. But presidents usually don't come looking for my advice, so what do I know? *Smirk*

Generally abstaining from this behavior is sound advice for anyone to follow. Believe me when I say it again, things like this never end well! And like most of life's great lessons learned, they're usually done the hard way. Hindsight is often the greatest teacher...sometimes you have to play with fire to realize how badly you can get burned. And I may never be perfect, but you can bet your last dollar that I could probably write a book based on the mistakes I've had the opportunity to learn from. I most likely won't, but the experiences are definitely there.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

There are reasons for everything we do. There are good ones, and not-so-good ones. Sometimes, it's the most far-fetched of reasons that seems to be the one to tie the great ideas together.



VITAL STATS:

*Cart* Finally got my performance review at work today...better than I thought or rated myself, but you'll never confuse me with being the Employee Of The Year. Had a good talk with my boss though about that, and some other things. Some things that I got away from are going to come back. I'll have a bit of a voice again. Kinda good to be trusted in that position. We have a good staff, and I love the people I work with. Most of them have been around together longer than I've been there, and I'm thankful enough to have fit in with them and earned their respect and friendships. Hope it's another good year.

And that's really all I'm at liberty to speak of now at the moment. Feel free to comment by using your preferred methods of accessing this material, and I'll be happy to discuss this with you (as always). Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755258-This-ones-about-what-Id-have-to-say