*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758174-Local-news
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#758174 added August 9, 2012 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Local news...
If I were to watch channel 2 I could probably tell you. We have no local newspaper. If we did most folks wouldn't read it.

News isn't important here. It's not personal like juicy gossip. A small city in a small country that doesn't have a military nor interesting political parties doesn't generate much news.

There's the gory accident, the gory murder, the boring corruption. Real news is hard to come by.

One can't depend upon the weather either. Unless there is a huge storm off either coast it's sunny in the morning, rainy in the afternoon, clearing overnight. In dry season it's just dry and dusty.

We do have earthquakes. But minor rumbles are nothing to squawk about and although a volcanic eruption can be spectacular they tend to be international in nature and hardly on the local news. No one needs to watch the news to know it.

Today I went to the farmer's market. They've built an addition that someday will be a supermarket. In Costa Rica the key word is "someday", usually defined as sometime between tomorrow and eternity.

Today someone said they were opening next week and sure enough the racks for the shelves are being put in. The check out stations are in place. There was bubble wrap around the new shopping carts. I took a picture and spoke with a woman. Next week? The following week?

Someday ... We'll know before eternity ends.
67.568

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758174-Local-news