*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758771-Which-is-your-American-Idol-Romney-or-Obama
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#758771 added August 16, 2012 at 9:28pm
Restrictions: None
Which is your American Idol: Romney or Obama?
Discuss ~ "The American Idol TV show gets more people voting than a normal political election. One reason that's been stated is because voting is simple and easy for them but it is difficult and inconvenient in normal elections."

Voting for Idol may be easy but who is voting? And what are they voting on? The younger non-elegible-to-vote crowd seems to consider it a popularity contest based on gender and looks. And even the more serious adults would have to agree that a singing contest is shallow in comparison to electing the local dog catcher.

Easy-peasy to make it easy when it really doesn't count. Also, how many votes does one person get? The Daley machine of yore would beg for that system. Chicago corrupt and Idol isn't? Gimme a break. If it mattered there would be a Senate investigation and a news-worthy scandal.

What I object to is the hysteria over eligibility to vote. I was born in the day of the poll tax and the U.S. was built on denying the vote to any group that was outside the power-elite. The present I.D. laws enacted in many states are merely a new method to deny people their constitutional right to vote. And since it usually excludes the poor and people of color and other people without power I fear that unless these laws are declared unconstitutional the power-elite will win again.

The real question isn't making it easy or hard to vote. It's whether certain individuals or class of people are denied or obstructed when they choose to vote.

To reduce Obama v Romney to an American Idol contest would be a disgrace.
67.822

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758771-Which-is-your-American-Idol-Romney-or-Obama