*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/759230-Texting-a-double-edged-razor
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#759230 added August 23, 2012 at 2:10pm
Restrictions: None
Texting a double-edged razor
Thursday, August 23, 2012 ~ Day 23 of the 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is "In this day and age where texting seems to be all the rage, do you think this practice has improved or broken down the lines of personal communication and why?"


Texting, like any other technological activity, is neither good nor bad. Depending on how it is used texting can both improve and break down the lines of personal communication. Used properly, texting can open and improve lines of communication. Texting, like e-mail, hand-written letters, telephone calls, and talking, is a tool of communication and when used in conjunction with other communication tools it improves and opens lines of communication.

When people use texting as the only communications tool then it severs and breaks the lines of personal communication between individuals. Texting does not allow individuals easily carry on in-depth conversations. You can learn only so much about another individual by texting, but if you really want to get to know someone, you have to talk to him or her face to face, over the telephone, or exchange letters.

If you really want to know what another person is like, you have to have face-to-face contact with that person on a regular basis. Texting is a wonderful tool to keep in touch with a family member or friend in anther city or state, but it does not reveal a person’s personality and it does not let you get to know the individual’s idiosyncrasies.

Texting is a double-edged razor blade. When used properly it enhances communication between individuals. When used improperly it closes the line of communication.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/759230-Texting-a-double-edged-razor