*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785481-Bat-Guana-Thinking-Either-Or-Thinking
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#785481 added June 24, 2013 at 6:12pm
Restrictions: None
Bat Guana Thinking: "Either Or" Thinking
The June 24, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Which are more important in the world: writers and thinkers or scientists and inventors?


Warning about this post: If you think this post will offend you do not read any farther.

The answer to this question is not a choice of one or the other; at least, not if civilization is to advance and humanity discover its true potential. I think one of the problems with modern society is "either or" thinking, which implies that you can have one or the other but not both. This type of thinking is just bat guano1 because both "writers and thinkers" and "scientists and inventors" were necessary to humanity to advance beyond "hunting and gathering". Both factions are still necessary or humanity will never be able to colonize Mars or any other planet in the known universe.

It is batshit2 thinking
to believe that a bird can fly with only one wing,
that civilization can advance without both
"writers and thinkers"
and "scientists and inventors".

Without "writers and thinkers"
"scientists and inventors"
we would never look into
the heart of the atom
or deep space.

In order to progress civilization needs the wing that "scientists and inventors" provide, as well as the one provided "writers and thinkers". In fact, some of society's best inventors and scientists are also thinkers and writers. Take Albert Einstein instance, if he had not been thinking he would never have found the theory of general relativity. If Einstein had not been a writer he would never have been able to show the theory to other scientists. The same thing can be said for inventors who have to express their ideas so that other can see them.



Quote of the Day: “Writing is thinking on paper.” - William Zinsser

Footnotes
1  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guano
2  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=batshit


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785481-Bat-Guana-Thinking-Either-Or-Thinking