*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/795329-Day-18
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1959431
All the contest entries in one place! Maybe they won't be so late now, haha.
#795329 added October 22, 2013 at 9:16am
Restrictions: None
Day 18
Spirit Wolf



The pack of wolves ran across the snowy terrain, flying low to the ground with speed and efficiency. They hunted the target, a limping deer the edge of the group. The pack paused, stand at a standstill, their breath fogging the air before them.

The pack was hungry and cold, but they did not dare rush a hunt if it meant failing. They crouched low to the ground, grinding their bellies against the powdery snow. They waited.
The deer settled down, scraping the ground to find grass, not knowing predators watched their every move. One by one, the deer fell to their slumber.

The Alpha of the pack rose. His movements alerted the others, and soon they stood beside him. Like the speed of light, they raced and wove through the trees, coming up fast to the sleeping foe. But the crunch of snow alerted a buck, and the frightened deer quickly scrambled to flee. Despite their great efforts, no deer was caught.

The Alpha laid down on the earth the deer had scraped and sighed heavily. Another day his pack would go hungry. They had no coordination, no team effort. They could not communicate. That was the real problem, and the Alpha knew it. He raised his snout to the ever-present moon and asked for her blessing.

Do not let my family die. Give us some mean to provide for ourselves, moon spirit.

He carefully watched the white orb in the sky, but it gave no response. No all- seeing answer to help Alpha.

His muzzle fell in defeat.


He closed his eyes miserly, only to hear the excited movements of his pack. He opened his eyes and rose suddenly. Before him the spot was bathed in moonlight, creating a direct beam in front of him. He and the eyes of his pack rose, following the path of light. From the moon a figure floated down. It landed before him and he lowered his body in respect.


Spirit Wolf, I submit to you.

You try so hard to lead your people, and even though you have met defeat, you have met it like a true wolf. I hold the answer to your problems. The great white wolf shook his mane, letting it fall out around him. I give you the gift of language. Use it to hunt for your pack and locate one another. Protect your pack Alpha, do not fail me, and you will have your place in the stars when you pass.


Alpha wolf rose, his strong body bathing in the light of the Great Wolf. I will not fail my people. All wolf kind will pray tribute to you. We honor you.


I Know. The Spirit Wolf disappeared, leaving her gift to be discovered.
© Copyright 2013 TheQuillDragon (UN: thequilldragon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TheQuillDragon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/795329-Day-18