*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805551-They-say-the-heart-of-rock--roll-is-still-beating
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#805551 added February 2, 2014 at 4:45pm
Restrictions: None
They say the heart of rock & roll is still beating
** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **



DAY 2

Song: "The Heart of Rock & Roll"
Artist: Huey Lewis & The News
Album: Sports (1983)






Okay, lizco252, you think mentioning cassette tapes was something? Check this out... today's entry is about my earliest musical memory, which involves a vinyl record and an eight-track player! *Laugh*

Back before even cassette tapes, my parents had an old phonograph/eight-track combo player in their living room. While I never did find any of their old eight-tracks that would actually play, my parents did have a small collection of vinyl records that they would play for time to time. My parents were never really huge music-lovers, but they apparently collected records at the right time (well "right" time for an eighties music lover like me), because they had some greats like Chicago's IX (Greatest Hits) album and the one that I'll always, always remember, Huey Lewis' album "Sports."

When my brother and I were really young, we used to put on my dad's ties (don't ask me why we thought that was cool; something about boys wanting to be like their fathers, I guess) and dance around the living room every time he put on the record. We would dance in circles, around and around, until we got dizzy and fell down. That was usually sometime around "I Want a New Drug" (track 4), at which point we'd recover and insist he start the record over again. Compared to kids these days and their parents having to listen to the same One Direction or Disney sing-a-long song a million times it's probably tame, but I can't help wonder if my parents were annoyed at the fact they never got to listen to the second half of the album when my brother and I were around. *Laugh*


© Copyright 2014 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805551-They-say-the-heart-of-rock--roll-is-still-beating