*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807365-What-Am-I-Writing-Today
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#807365 added February 17, 2014 at 2:19pm
Restrictions: None
What Am I Writing Today?
3. What are you writing/working on today? Week Nine for Welcome to My Reality.

Today, with a lovely extra day off to enjoy, I am spending it by starting the Newbies PDG Poetry Pen Workshop. I have had fun reading over the new class information and playing with the pre-lesson on meter and the first lesson on Alliteration, Assonance and Consonance. I love playing with words and creating poetic imagery and poems. What lands on the page often amazes me with its beauty. I am always amazed at the gifts that fall like little gems. Taking this workshop forces me to learn a bit more. To learn those wacky terms – like iamb, trochee, anapest and dactyl. Who came up with woolly terms like that? My mind cannot wrap itself around them, let alone what they mean. (Even to write them here I had to open the other window to copy them – they will not stick in my mind as yet).

Here is what my β€˜monkey mind’ came up with:
1. One line of Iamb: this is a metrical unit (Foot) composed of unstressed syllable/stressed syllable

i SIT and WATCH the NIGHT aWAKE

2. One line of Trochee: this is a metrical unit composed of syllables stressed/unstressed

LIon Lion FIERCE with MIGHT

3. One line of Anapest: this is a metrical unit composed of syllables unstressed/unstressed/stressed. This was the hardest for me. Certainly not my most favourite.

UnderNEATH the broKEN branch lay FAY

4. One line of Dactyl: this is a metrical unit composed of syllables stressed/unstressed/unstressed.

STRONG is the MAN who lets GOD lead

The first lesson was easier. I came up with these lovely attempts:

Alliteration:
Trains travel tunnels
Long and lank
Their tubes transport telepaths.

Assonance:
Alley cats angle
Along arduous arches
Allowing for adversity.

Consonance – this one is more challenging.
Fight the light with might
Grasp hold, your will, ignite
Battle charge, finite.

All is good. I think I did alright, but even if I don't I had fun. Now it is time for a nap, since Canada has just won against the Swiss 3-1 in Women's hockey. WooHoo.



signature for the Paper Doll Gang. ** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2014 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807365-What-Am-I-Writing-Today