*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820823-My-Super-Powers-and-Funny-Conversations
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#820823 added June 25, 2014 at 12:32pm
Restrictions: None
My Super Powers and Funny Conversations
Today's blogs...

Blog City - Day 114 June 25


Prompt: I'm a Nurse. What's your super power? I work as a QMA {like a Nurse} in mental health and you don't have to be Batman or Superman to have super powers. Have fun with this.

I am a teacher. A supply teacher currently with dreams of my own class in either special education or primary (grades 1,2 or 3).

As a supply teacher I have many 'super powers'. The biggest is accessing a class and determining who is going to try to give me the most grief. Learning those names first makes those children realize they will be held accountable for anything they may decide to do. It also gives me an opportunity to build some kind of repport with them - get them on my side, because they are often the leaders of a class - I can then use their energy for good. Thereby keeping the whole class on track for the day.

I also carry with me my 'little bag of tricks'. This super powered bag carries all the ammunition I need to redirect the class and fill in those little holes of time that can cause chaos if held in suspended time. Books to read (one on listening, one on manners, some with actions and just for fun). Music to play - used to direct clean up time or keep the noise levels down during art (you can't hear the music you are too loud). It can also be used to dance and sing to (action songs). I have games to play - word games, relay games, flash cards - this gets added to regularly as students are great at teaching me new games. Photocopied worksheets if the teacher has left me something I don't feel I am able to tackle or if they have neglected to leave anything. I have a magic pointer and a whistle (which is a necessary item when leading a class of five or six year olds in a huge gymnasium). I have a few resources to help me quickly review certain concepts before I teach (this is often used for grade 5 and 6 math - things you remember but need to review). My own portable bingo game which is if all else fails (though I rarely need to use it).

I also bring my smile and pack my 'big adult' voice for when I need to get serious or if someone is misbehaving. I am quick on my feet and able to problem solve at the drop of a hat. I am able to pick up jobs at a moments notice and am already prepared to go. I am a super supply teacher. And don't you forget it!

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality


5. Share with us the funniest joke you remember or the funniest conversation you overheard.

I find listening to children's conversations quite intriguing. Their voices rise up with confidence over what they know even if it really is not true but they believe it to be so.

One such conversation occurred when I was a child myself. A neighbour boy had good shopping with his mother and got brand new shoes. All week we had been running races. I won every time. I was the oldest by a year and taller than him by at least a foot. Well, he got back from the shopping trip and announced to my friend Sally and I that he would now be able to run faster and win because he had new shoes. I remember thinking how dumb that concept was and proceeded to tell him his judgement was faulty, but he wanted a race to prove it. So we did. I pushed a little harder and beat him even more than my usual and he went home defeated. I don't think he ever talked to us again. Personally that did not bother me. I was a not big fan of children my own age. Most of my friends were 3 to 4 years older or younger than me. I was also not a big fan of stupidity. This boy had it in spades and I was not above proving it to him when polite words were not being heard.

I often find myself outside in my backyard listening to children's conversations next door. I shake my head when I hear the same kind of thinking. I chuckle at it knowing they will learn soon enough.

I just want to add... the brother and sister that live beside us are an interesting little pair. The boy, Nathan is always getting in to trouble and told not to do things. His sister is two years older. One day, when they were 4 and 6, I was outside and I could hear their conversation quite clearly. Apparently Nathan had done something to upset his sister and I heard her say to him, "Nathan. No. What part of No do you not understand?" I could not help laughing at that - she sounded so adult. It was priceless.

I also had a little junior kindergarten boy, probably 4, tell me, when I had him get ready for home by putting his jacket on before his boots that "He was not very happy about this." He sounded so adult and I suspected he was repeating what his parents often say to him. He even had the facial expression and the body stance down. I hid my smile and saved my laughter for after he left. Kids do say the darnest things.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge


I am betting on no prompt today because the person assigned has not posted all month. I did check her blog and she has been writing, but I do not think she knows she needs to post to the forum. At this point it is too late to mention it to her. There is less than a week left. This month has been glitchy - even Earl didn't post a prompt and I thought he was organizing this hoe down. Not to worry, he is forgiven.

I love what PandaPaws Licensed VetTech has to say - Where oh, where have the little prompts gone. And prompts, prompts we don't need no stinkin' prompts.

I find I do appreciate the starting point of a prompt even if I veer off into my own land, but at least I had a starting spot. Today I am all prompted out....


© Copyright 2014 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820823-My-Super-Powers-and-Funny-Conversations